Brabanters and Spitzhaubens--The Differences PIC HEAVY!

There are a couple different Brabanter groups on Facebook. There are two differing philosophies on how to improve the breed. I'm part of each group, and it's worthwhile to hear the different philosophies. In my opinion each group has flaws too.
https://m.facebook.com/groups/257918197916784?ref=bookmarks
https://m.facebook.com/groups/1620437108214336?ref=bookmarks
There's also this one that is more hobby.
https://m.facebook.com/groups/139340276247439?ref=bookmarks

Thank you! I hadn't found the first link so I've requested that one as well. The second link is the one I've been waiting to join since December. The third, I actually just found today so am waiting on approval to join that one as well.

Sorry I dropped off BYC for a while.
At this point I don't even know if my girl(sold to me as a cream brabanter) is a mix, or just pure polish. Love her anyway ♡

I will probably go the direction of blue eggs in the future but I still love the look of the brabanter. If they're as goofy as my girl I'd really love one, someday!

Sorry I dropped off BYC for a while.
At this point I don't even know if my girl(sold to me as a cream brabanter) is a mix, or just pure polish. Love her anyway ♡

I will probably go the direction of blue eggs in the future but I still love the look of the brabanter. If they're as goofy as my girl I'd really love one, someday!

Looks like gold laced polish to me, but still gorgeous!

Ok. I've got a 1yr old spitz that is showing us signs of going broody. She had a tricked yesterday... went to lay, had 6 eggs in the box already. It was 3pm and she was growling when we would peek in and was all fluffed up and serious. We got so excited! The other girls cooped themselves, fretting about her but she held her ground and stayed in the nest box (away from the coop as pictured) overnight! We thought... this is it!!!
She left the eggs around 10am... she's normally our early bird. I thought she was just getting food but she left them all day... finally returned to them at 5pm... laid another egg and went broody again. Over night again. Left again at 10 this morning... late for her she is out and not interested.
Long story... but it's important that you know the details because I want to know what's going on!!! Is she practicing? Is this normal? What is she doing? Why? I know spitz aren't famous for going broody. Is it that she doesn't know how? Any tips or experiences are appreciated! I want to encourage her to broody and hatch me some baby spitz... it's a dream of mine.
Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
I can't wait to find out what sex my new kids are! We hatched out four cream brabanters who are a bit over four weeks old and got three gold girls who are a week old.
[/IMG]

I have a order of 25 Cream Brabanter chicks from Ideal Hatchery due to arrive next week, very much looking forward to seeing these very unique birds grow out.

Back
Top Bottom