Brabanters and Spitzhaubens--The Differences PIC HEAVY!

Pics
I had a brand new incubator, and I was sure the humidity levels and such were good. I studied this alot before I did my first incubation. I truly thought it was the fault of my incubator though.....(the toes being crooked), then I though, why in the world would it just be the males?

It's such a shame. My favorite chick is the one who came from Ideal. She's just gorgous. The female I hatched has the more polish crest, and the male's crest looks great, except the most inner toe on each foot is crooked. (Kind of bent outward at the knuckle joint, if you can picture that.) Out of the other two that hatched, both had crooked toes, one was beardless, but with the correct crest, and the other had a polish type crest, but crooked toes too.

I would cull them if I wanted to breed them. They're kind of my "special chickens" though. Pets. I won't let them breed. They might not be perfect, but they're ornamental...Eye candy for the yard. Everyone asks about them, and they are just soooo friendly and sweet. The girls sort of "beep" or peep......and they LOVE to be picked up. Whitey, the mutt, lives with them because she hatched with them, and they're all about the same size.

My main flock is various breeds of brown egg layers, and I have a handful of egg customers. Then I have a breeding trio that I just purchased of Wheaten Marans. They're HUGE.

You're right! Alot of people have never seen them before. There were a few for sale at a market I was at, and everybody was looking at them asking what they were. I think they are just soooo beautiful. Gold and Cream both.......
smile.png

I am leaning toward incubation as the reason for my birds' crooked toes. I hatched some eggs last year and this spring and about half had crooked toes. Very disappointing, because I know the parents do not have crooked toes.

I have a Brinsea 40 (older model) which is almost foolproof. However, the temp spiked a couple of times. ...

Quote:
Carla, that is sooo interesting. But in my case, what do you think about the boys having crooked toes, but not the girls?

allen wranch wrote:
I am leaning toward incubation as the reason for my birds' crooked toes. I hatched some eggs last year and this spring and about half had crooked toes. Very disappointing, because I know the parents do not have crooked toes.

I have a Brinsea 40 (older model) which is almost foolproof. However, the temp spiked a couple of times. ...

Carla, that is sooo interesting. But in my case, what do you think about the boys having crooked toes, but not the girls?

More interesting is that last year, the girls had crooked toes. This year all the boys did. Go figure !!!​

Quote:
They are certainly very appealing to me!

Let's see if I have my facts straight:

Medium size bird, kind of a small Large Fowl.
Lays good sized white egg with some regularity, even though they can be late to mature.
Very colorful with a great hairdo.
Friendly and personable.

What's not to love?!

Have been asking for this thread to be listed on the Breed Site list by Hickjc/Jody.

I have good news. I can keep my birds at a friends place within walking distance. I live only two blocks to city limits and could have chickens if my neighbors **&&^%TT
So that means that I can watch my pretty barbanter roosters grow. I will most likely not breed for a while. Limited times and lack of a larger flock of Brabanter girls. Later !

Back
Top Bottom