1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Brabanters and Spitzhaubens--The Differences PIC HEAVY!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by EweSheep, Nov 24, 2009.

1. flower

flower Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2009
    SW US Desert
    My Brabanters are now six months old and as pretty as ever but the cockerels have become competitive. So I put the cockerel with the best color pattern in a separate area because the other cock has the best crest. AAnnnnnnd today I found my first Brabanter pullet egg. [​IMG] boy I am impressed with the size for the first egg. WOW it is as big as the six month old Orpington's eggs and she has been laying for two weeks. I promise pictures for tomorrow.

2. jenn-E

jenn-E Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    Albuquerque, NM
    I'm jealous that your chicks have started laying, since they're a few weeks younger than mine. 2 of my chickens have recently started laying (an EE & a brown-egg-layer), but no white eggs yet. Maybe soon if we get some warmer weather & longer days [​IMG]

3. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. flower

May 16, 2009
    SW US Desert
    Hey Jen..............I was thinking of you and wondering if your girls are laying ! Not only did my little girl me an egg........but I HAVE ROOSTERS ! And I plan on collecting eggs to hatch ! nah nah
    My friend from Artesia is here so are you sure you don't want a cockerel ??? They are OK. I can pick then up and handle them although none of my birds really like to be handled but none of them are fierce or try to bite me. I just pick them up, pet them and carry them around. I have a pair of Showgirls from a bird show that I attended. Usually at poultry shows they have auctions to raise money to pay the fees etc. Next to my little Olive E Amber, the Showgirls are the sweetest and I love to hold and pet them. Since I hatched and raised Amber from egg stage she is my baby. But it is funny none of them jump up on my lap like I have heard about. Of course if I had them in my own backyard I could visit them much more often.

5. jenn-E

jenn-E Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    Albuquerque, NM
    Unless he's going to freezer camp, I think we're happy without a rooster. The hens have worked out a nice pecking order.

I wouldn't call my chicks exactly friendly either. They are not afraid of people & are not aggressive. They underfoot whenever we are outside, hoping for treats, and the ones who are laying have become easier to pick up, but I don't get the sense that they really "want" to be petted. One of my Brabanters will hop up on my knee or shoulder if I sit down, but I think it is more out of curiosity than affection.

6. flower

May 16, 2009
    SW US Desert
    Yes I could be happy without a rooster. Don't worry I was just joking. I am not sure if they like be handled but I consider it necessary so they know that I am boss. I noticed the hens are more calm when they are laying maybe it is "the hormone thing"[​IMG] > I did take the pictures but they are not downloaded yet.

7. flower

May 16, 2009
    SW US Desert
    [​IMG]
    first pullet eggs from my Brabanter It is so pretty but she did not make one today. boo hoo

8. chrisf

chrisf Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2007
    Spitzhaubens, group shot...........................................................................Chrisf[​IMG]

9. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Wondeful eggs!

Chrisf, cuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuute!!!!!!! Now don't make me order a batch of them! [​IMG]

10. mamawolf544

mamawolf544 Unbreakable Heart

Apr 29, 2009
    alvarado, Tx
    Quote:They are beautiful!!!!! And growing so well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by