Brabanters and Spitzhaubens--The Differences PIC HEAVY!

Pics
I don't have Sptiz so I have a couple of questions. Do their crests present the same winter problems as the Polish? Also, is anyone working on blues or blacks? Thanks.

No their crests never gave them any problems even under rain or snow. They just stay indoors LOL!

UK has the blues and blacks. Not as flashy as the white and black or golden spangled Spitzhaubens.

If you are going to want to breed some blue or black Spitzhaubens, there is one or two of breeders in here that did or still does raise off colored chicks.

Wish me luck...

A friend had a broody but no rooster. I "borrowed" her and she is now sitting happily on 11 Spitzhauben eggs. The funny thing is that I hatched the broody from my birds and gave her to my friend.

Then my Salmon Favorolle went broody. She is sitting on some blue wheaten EE eggs.

Another friend retired and is going to travel 6 months out of the year. I inherited her nine geriatric hens. They will be worked in with my layers, but in the interim I have no idea what I am going to do if all the babies hatch.

Oh yes, I still have the three week gold Brabanter babies to work in someplace.

Wish me luck...

Quote:
Sounds like you may be doing some building of pens and coops. Good luck. How are your gold spitz doing? Did you get a good hatch?

Unfortunately neither my spitz eggs or my Brabanter eggs did much. I have one Brabanter chick. Period. But I'm going to try again.

Update on my Brabanters. I've been averaging 3 XL eggs from the 4 of them per day. But I think one of them may be trying to go broody. I only have 2 nest boxes that the chickens will use (I have 14 chickens, so there's often a line), and she chose the favored of the 2. She just started yesterday & wasn't on the nest all day. Today the other chickens are just crowding in around her while she screeches like a velociraptor.

Back
Top Bottom