Brahma Betty made it through the night!

azygous

Addict
Premium Feather Member
14 Years
Dec 11, 2009
Colorado Rockies
Betty, my two year old Light Brahma, was almost ready to die last night after two or three days of worsening diarrhea. Yesterday I brought her inside and put her in a crate with yogurt, water and some flock feed. My cat has been battling an infection and I had some amoxicyllin for him. I swiped one from him and broke a tablet in half, about 20 mg, and put it inside Betty's beak.

Throughout the day, she would eat a little yogurt, some peanut butter, and poop a bright green, almost straight water, poop when I hauled her out of the crate and placed her on a newspaper on the window shelf. (All my chickens are paper trained, it seems. They all refuse to poop in the crate.)

Anyway, Betty got worse, and by nightfall she could barely stand and keep her eyes open. I gave her another half tab of amoxicyllin, but wasn't expecting her to live through the night.

This morning she was alive and improved, but still has the bright jello-green diarrhea, and she doesn't want to eat.

I have no vet in my town who knows anything about poultry, so I'm on my own. I plan on trying to get some antibiotics at the feed store today, and the only one I know is what the vet gave me for my cat. It's obviously helped her improve, so I'll keep on with it.

Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong with Betty? She looks wonderful except for being so sick with diarrhea. None of the other flock is sick.

Thanks!

Betty continues to improve on the antibiotics, though she just pooped a watery stream down my front while I was putting her back in her crate.

She is now eating more solid food - tomatoes, sunflower seeds and flock feed. She's begun to coo and mutter again, and argue with me. She's responding very well on the antibiotics and I have no doubt she would have been dead this morning had I not had some on hand for my cat and got her started on them yesterday.

I was able to obtain enough from my vet this morning to complete a course of treatment for her. And some to replace my cat's doses that I swiped from him.

I keep fastidiously clean conditions for my flock, all the others seem just fine. I'm sure I'll never know what caused this infection, but I'm sure glad I happened to read a thread last night where antibiotics were mentioned in connection to treating green, watery diarrhea. I would have been lost without this web site and all the good help from fellow chicken lovers!

Glad your hen is improving. Give her some more live yoghourt as she improves to get her bowel bacteria right.

Good Luck,

Sandie

Back
Top Bottom