1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Brahma Breeders thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Wynette, Apr 11, 2014.

1. sharron

sharron Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    scottdale pa
    yeah, me too, would love to have some of your bloodlines,colors[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. big medicine

big medicine custom Brahmas

Mar 6, 2009
    Ohio

[​IMG]
    Do not particularly like the tail on the above female, the black primary tail feathers sit too high for my liking. Seems to me to be kind of short backed as well. You can tell this an older drawing by the white saddle feathers on this light male.

[​IMG]
    Really like the type on these darks.

Do like the length of back on the below female.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Nice.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  3. big medicine

Mar 6, 2009
    Ohio
    Well shoot, not sure what exactly just happened there. Was pulling some examples of Brahma type together when it went ahead and printed it. Hang tough a minute and I'll try to get this straightened out.

4. big medicine

Mar 6, 2009
    Ohio
    [​IMG]
    I like this hen, shows a good full breast. Close enough to show some skull and a bit of the scowl facial expression you like to see on a Brahma. Good straight upward tilt on the topline.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. anac1979

anac1979 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2010
    FL
    I'm still not sure...I'm sure these are project birds...idk whether they're worth a go or not...the hens look like they may have too much flesh on their faces?? But like I said, I'm no expert...I would love to make blue Brahmas...Do you need black Brahmas to get blue? I need to learn more about genetics, but I learn better when I can see something...ugh...Sorry for all the questions..& thank you for the help...

6. big medicine

Mar 6, 2009
    Ohio
    Blue is a diluter of black, but if you could get your hands on some blues you would not necessarily need black to start with. Breeding blue to blue should produce 50% blue, 25% black, and 25% black chicks.

The facial flesh, to my way of thinking, is secondary to establishing proper type. The males saddle feathers showing some brassiness has me concerned somewhat.

7. brahmabreeder

brahmabreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    If I remember correctly you don't want to mix black and blue. The black that results from the blues isn't the same. Something to do with the lack of shine they end up having.

8. big medicine

Mar 6, 2009
    Ohio
    There is a theory among some breeders that a black that is a result of a blue to blue breeding may not have the beetle green sheen that is desired. Not sure how much stock to put in to that theory, but on the flip side many believe you can improve color and lacing by breeding black into their blues periodically.

9. anac1979

anac1979 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2010
    FL
    Thank you all very much for your input. Still not sure if I'm going to get the eggs or not. Maybe i'll just look for some blues. :) I have Gold Laced & Lights already but would love more colors. I need to work on the lacing of the Golds anyhow. Trying to figure out which ones to cull at the moment. I only have 7 hens, though, & 8 cocks. They are just 6 months old. I was going to keep all the hens but I need coop room. I'm just not sure which ones I want to keep, which ones look the best.

10. andreanar

andreanar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2014
    Can someone please show me some photos of the bottom and top of a Brahma foot?
    My Brahma's feet look puffy and I'd like to have something to compare it to.
    Thank you in advance.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by