Brahma Breeders thread

Pics
Where did these come from? There are a few folks out there that sell the blue/gold or blue/splash (if someone guarantees that you are getting only blue run as fast as you can the other way) hatching eggs and chicks. I'm not sure if Dee Mejstrik has any blues or if she is just concentrating on the golds. If you are a member of the American Brahma Club you can join the facebook page and ask if anyone has eggs or chicks. Most don't start breeding until late winter/early spring, but there may be some one breeding right now. Hope this helps.

They originally came from Chicken Hill Poultry but I got them from Country Star Farm. I will become a member of the American Brahma Club and join the FB site now. Thank you!!

Thank you for your input! Poor Henry will have to go to freezer camp it seems. Do you think the blue partridge female is worth breeding? I just love that color but don't want to sacrifice quality for color. Do you or anyone else know where I can get some better quality blue partridge pullets or hatching eggs?

Being that proper skull is such a benchmark of good Brahmas, I believe I would look for better typed blues. But as a last ditch effort to keep blue in your flock, I suppose you could breed a limited amount of chicks out of that hen, select a few of the better typed blue young, and hope your black based side of your flock can compensate for their shortcomings in future breeding.

But as the old breeders saying goes "You will get what you will tolerate." Which I take to mean if the breeders you use have flaws, don't be surprised if the resulting chicks look like them.

Last edited:
Being that proper skull is such a benchmark of good Brahmas, I believe I would look for better typed blues. But as a last ditch effort to keep blue in your flock, I suppose you could breed a limited amount of chicks out of that hen, select a few of the better typed blue young, and hope your black based side of your flock can compensate for their shortcomings in future breeding.

But as the old breeders saying goes "You will get what you will tolerate." Which I take to mean if the breeders you use have flaws, don't be surprised if the resulting chicks look like them.
There are some decent blues out there, certainly not perfect ones but decent ones. It just takes some patience and perseverance to find them. I looked at the Chicken Hill website, and their brahmas come from the Greenfire line. Although that line generally makes some very pretty feathered birds, they've lost the type that needs to come through and I've found that there is a serious vulture hock problem with that line. With that said, I know that Dee and the Aldridges are working on partridge, as well as several others whose names escape me right now. I'm not sure who has blue, but I'm sure someone does. If you can find a nice splash or blue, you'll be in business. I wouldn't breed these two though, I think they are too far from the type that you are looking for.

I must say that this is the first time I've seen this head come out of those lines though, usually it is just too short in the back, a cochin cushion (and occasionally a bunny tail) and the vulture hocks that are the biggest issues. Anyway, good luck on your hunt. It is half the fun I think in trying to build the perfect brahma.

My blue boy. I took this year off on trying to breed anything and just let some of my youngsters grow up.

Gold -

And then there are the rejects. Solid blue hen - love her disposition. Comb totally wrong. Thinks she's a lap dog. Eggs taste good.

Here are some pictures of my new pair and the growing kids that I hatched this summer. Opinions are welcome.

So, this is the pair that I picked up in Ohio. I'm strictly working on type right now and I really liked the length of back on the pullet and the back end of the cockerel. Both heads are very, very nice. Color is off for both, but I'll paint the house after I've built it (thanks to Gary's advice!).

The best way to get a picture of the topline of the cockerel. I like it.

This pullet is about 5 months old. She's coming along. One of my biggest problems with my pullets is the V tail instead of the U tail. I really need to get that under control. Hopefully, Pedro (above) will be able to help with that.

Pullet #2. See above comments, almost all of the same things apply.

Cockerel from the same hatch. I really like his long back and will probably use him over some of the partridge pullets this spring to try to get that length in there. He doesn't have as nice of a topline as Pedro, but I like the length. He has a lot of growing to do, so I'm not going to over judge him yet, every now and then I see a spark of brilliance out of him, just not consistently.

Older pullet, about 7 months now I think. She's got a nice head, but still the V tail problem. She also has some bleed through silver on her feet, but again, I'm working on type and then I'll worry about the color. I'm not sure yet whether she carries the VH gene, but if she doesn't, I'll probably put her under a gold cockerel in the spring.

Here are some pictures of my new pair and the growing kids that I hatched this summer. Opinions are welcome.

So, this is the pair that I picked up in Ohio. I'm strictly working on type right now and I really liked the length of back on the pullet and the back end of the cockerel. Both heads are very, very nice. Color is off for both, but I'll paint the house after I've built it (thanks to Gary's advice!).

The best way to get a picture of the topline of the cockerel. I like it.

This pullet is about 5 months old. She's coming along. One of my biggest problems with my pullets is the V tail instead of the U tail. I really need to get that under control. Hopefully, Pedro (above) will be able to help with that.

Pullet #2. See above comments, almost all of the same things apply.

Cockerel from the same hatch. I really like his long back and will probably use him over some of the partridge pullets this spring to try to get that length in there. He doesn't have as nice of a topline as Pedro, but I like the length. He has a lot of growing to do, so I'm not going to over judge him yet, every now and then I see a spark of brilliance out of him, just not consistently.

Older pullet, about 7 months now I think. She's got a nice head, but still the V tail problem. She also has some bleed through silver on her feet, but again, I'm working on type and then I'll worry about the color. I'm not sure yet whether she carries the VH gene, but if she doesn't, I'll probably put her under a gold cockerel in the spring.
You have some beautiful birds! What happens to the color when you cross the dark with partridge? Is there a site or book I can get to learn more about color genetics with brahmas?

You have some beautiful birds! What happens to the color when you cross the dark with partridge? Is there a site or book I can get to learn more about color genetics with brahmas?
If you google chicken calculator, you will find a calculator that will help you with the genetics. I use the "new" chicken calculator, takes me a few more clicks to get where I want to go but I find it has more information available. Once you get into the tabs, you can pick all sorts of colors and patterns.

Dark male over partridge (I prefer to call them gold since a true partridge doesn't have any gold on it, it should be red where the gold is) will give you dark pullets and split (gold/silver) males. A gold male over dark will give you gold pullets and split males. If you put the split males back to either color, you will get 50% gold, 50% dark pullets and 50% whatever color the female is males and 50% split males.

Try the calculator, you'll like it.

If you google chicken calculator, you will find a calculator that will help you with the genetics. I use the "new" chicken calculator, takes me a few more clicks to get where I want to go but I find it has more information available. Once you get into the tabs, you can pick all sorts of colors and patterns.

Dark male over partridge (I prefer to call them gold since a true partridge doesn't have any gold on it, it should be red where the gold is) will give you dark pullets and split (gold/silver) males. A gold male over dark will give you gold pullets and split males. If you put the split males back to either color, you will get 50% gold, 50% dark pullets and 50% whatever color the female is males and 50% split males.

Try the calculator, you'll like it.

I am definitely going to do that. Thank you!!

bumpercarr...Can you show me what you are talking about with the tail? The difference between the V tail & the U? Pics would be great. :) Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom