Brahma Breeders thread

Knew a fellow who bred very good buff and light large fowl. He was showing me a breeding pen of buffs. The male in this pen had little to no color in the saddle feathers, this was to produce nice clean backed pullets. Sounds like your theory should work in reverse.
Oh--then maybe I have a female line?
The adult females are very, very cleanly marked- with very little ticking or mossiness/smut. No errant black feathers either.

I asked an APA/ABA judge what I can do to get birds that are more even in colour--with better saddles and better size, and his suggestion was to get some really good lights, and mate them in.
My problem with that is--while it's a great sex-link cross to put a gold cock with silver hens, it doesn't work in reverse, and I don't want to have to select out birds that have white feathers--that's possibly just breeding in more trouble. I only have so many years of life left--and if I can't find it--then I'm going to have to make it. Not that I show, I don't anymore, and never showed large fowl, but my goal is to breed to the SOP with the idea that in theory I "could" plunk birds down on a show table and not slink away in embarrassment.

Mostly though--I want dual purpose birds--these hens lay very well--but they are quite a bit smaller than my one Dark pullet is--so--they lack size. The males--there are 2 distinct differences-- a couple who are smaller sized, but have really nice leg and foot feathers. Then there are the 2 bigger guys--and they are lacking great leg and foot feathering.

I forget what my question was, now.
Oh-yeah--Big Medicine answered it--you can't tell males from females at a young age based on down colour. I think.

If you are wanting to increase size, and your females have good foot feathers, I believe I would lean toward using one of the larger males and hope the females offset his short comings.

I also think adding a nice, big, light female, or two, to your breeding pen would be worth considering.

Thank you, Big Medicine--I really like my biggest male, look at his butt-- he's got the right shape I believe--and is pretty wide--that's a large horse feed pan he's standing in, and again--only 10 months old.

He's healthy and am seeing some nice looking larger chicks. I will do a search for a Light pair--I like adults because they are a known quantity--I am finally seeing what these Brahmas should look like, though I've had them since they were a week old. So, my chicks are earlier, and I think that might help me get ahead a bit faster.

Does anyone know where I can buy Standard sized Brahmas, but I don't need "show quality" necessarily I want the large size. Most hatcheries, I have found breed for only looks, and I want the looks and original size. Thank you.

I finally got my brooder temp down to 80 degrees today. All 3 of my surviving chicks are girls. They have some pretty deep reddish gold colors, along with the pretty pencilling going on already. They're funny little things too. They like to pick up a piece of shavings and have the other 2 chase them, only to drop it and another one pick up a different piece and run around. I started giving them some chick grit, and they're getting big. Amelia is still the biggest girl, but Dusty, and Baby are catching up. My 4 yr old named his chick Dusty, and my 2 yr old named his Baby. They're loving the chicks. I've already caught them trying to sneak them out of the brooder and into their rooms at nap time lol. They haven't dared at bedtime thank goodness lol. They're learning to be handled by not so skillful hands, and to be calm. They're also getting into the guaky, storkish faze lol.

I finally got my brooder temp down to 80 degrees today. All 3 of my surviving chicks are girls. They have some pretty deep reddish gold colors, along with the pretty pencilling going on already. They're funny little things too. They like to pick up a piece of shavings and have the other 2 chase them, only to drop it and another one pick up a different piece and run around. I started giving them some chick grit, and they're getting big. Amelia is still the biggest girl, but Dusty, and Baby are catching up. My 4 yr old named his chick Dusty, and my 2 yr old named his Baby. They're loving the chicks. I've already caught them trying to sneak them out of the brooder and into their rooms at nap time lol. They haven't dared at bedtime thank goodness lol. They're learning to be handled by not so skillful hands, and to be calm. They're also getting into the guaky, storkish faze lol.

Chicks are so much fun to watch. Who needs TV.

Back
Top Bottom