Brahma Breeders thread

Just finished buildingmy new coop. It's a 12x16 hoop coop with another 10x6 run with metal over it. My chickies love it. Now I get to hang some shiny things in the trees and along the fence plus put up a scarecrow because a jerk of a Hawk has decided my youngest chicks are its breakfast/dinner. It got one of the pullets out of 1 of my dark brahmas brood of 6. She was too injured to survive. I've been spending 10 minutes in the house and 20 out in the yard to keep it from getting a 2nd chick. I really don't want to hurt it, but I have to protect my chickens and their babies. Katie's brood hatched Sept 3rd so their young and small enough to get into the main yard where the adults couldn't get at the time. Everyone is in the yard now but I hate that I lost a baby because I wasn't as careful as I should have been. The darn hawk already came back for a second try but Katie (my broody), Foghorn (my rooster and the big daddy) and the other adults in the flock are there to help protect them. It's taken me longer to write this because I've been going back and forth to keep an eye out for the darn hawk. I've always loved and admired these beautiful creatures, so don't want anything to happen to it, but I don't want it trying to make my chickens their dinner.

Sorry to hear always hard to lose a little one. Your new set up sounds great. Good luck with the rest of the babies

That darn hawk showed up a total of 3 times. Everyone is safely put to bed without anymore incidents. Hopefully it'll leave my babies alone after me scaring it off constantly. Tomorrow I make a scarecrow and hang out some old CDs to hopefully keep it away.

My darn cats aren't concerned as long as it's not them on the menu lol. So they're not worried about the hawk even though they go back with the chickens. I raise my Brahmas for eggs and meat for me and my family. I really don't want to lose anymore. I've figured out that I can't confine them to the coop and run because the babies can still get out, and they get really bad attitudes if they're confined too long. Even with feed, water, treats and things to try to keep them from being bored they start pecking at each other. So that options out the window. I'm going to try the scarecrow CD idea I've read about tomorrow so hopefully it'll work.

Went to the Fowl Fest in Birch Run, MI last weekend and had a light hen take Best of Breed. I was quite impressed with how well she did. Most of my birds are either coming out of molt or going into molt. Next show will be the Ohio National. I'm picking up a trio of light brahmas from Mark Peterson next week in Lebanon, IN. Hopefully I can get some chicks out of them soon.

Went to the Fowl Fest in Birch Run, MI last weekend and had a light hen take Best of Breed. I was quite impressed with how well she did. Most of my birds are either coming out of molt or going into molt. Next show will be the Ohio National. I'm picking up a trio of light brahmas from Mark Peterson next week in Lebanon, IN. Hopefully I can get some chicks out of them soon.

Congratulations. Good luck with your new trio, just keep in mind the pullets probably won't start laying until spring. Love brahma chicks.

I am looking to find some breeders of some buff brahma show stock. I am looking into starting my own flocks to show in a year or two and I am trying to get names of at least here breeders to select my stock from. Whether it be eggs, chicks, or adult birds. I have never shown before but I figure his would be a good breed to start with. :) I am looking for large fowl however, not bantam.

I am looking to find some breeders of some buff brahma show stock. I am looking into starting my own flocks to show in a year or two and I am trying to get names of at least here breeders to select my stock from. Whether it be eggs, chicks, or adult birds. I have never shown before but I figure his would be a good breed to start with. :) I am looking for large fowl however, not bantam.

LF buff brahmas are not common. The best place to begin your search is on Facebook, American Brahma Club

Update on my blue partridge brahmas, Kalani turned out to be a rooster, actually the best looking rooster that I'm keeping for breeding. I was wondering, I have Montana and I'm wondering if he's a splash? He has a single comb though. And I have these two darker boys that I bought as chicks. Just wondering if I should use them for breeding even though they don't look like Kalani. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom