Brahma Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to find some good quality Dark Brahma hatching eggs within driving distance of me. I'm in Central North Carolina; "driving distance" for me for good eggs is maybe five hours one way. So Western NC, SC, Eastern GA, Southern VA or WV would all be considered. I'm perfectly willing to get on a waiting list for the right birds. Thanks much! Meg

edited to add...I wouldn't turn down chicks, either!

Last edited:
Just got back from the OH National. Wow what a bunch of birds! The birds I got in Lucasville came from Kim and Kendra Aldrich. They are very nice people. I didn't get any off them this time except a Cornish hen. I also just picked up more Buff Brahma Bantams from Don Emery's line.

I just missed you Gary, Kendra had been talking to you a short time before my last stop of heading home. I would love to see your birds at on of the shows. The SLB and the BLRB's.

I wish I could have stuck around a little longer but my legs couldn't take any more. A bad accident and age are catching up with me.

Hope everyone has a safe trip home.

Me either, and I hesitated to post that, but I thought it was it was kinda cute, I seriously do think this is a direct result of the Wyandotte cockerel I used to bring in the blue, that guy was nuts, compared to the typical Brahma.

Some of the blue laced red girls, and the too orange male.
Hi Gary I think I have figured out how to eradicate the VH, let me know what you think.
I will take the Buff laced hen that I have pair bred and know is carrying VH and put a silver laced cockerel that I am not sure of over her, if any VH offspring result he gets the Axe because he is a carrier, if his offspring show no VH he is clean, I will put him in a separate pen. Then I will take a cockerel that I know is a carrier and put him over an unsure of hen and do the same process and put her in a clean pen if she is clean or put another hen to test, I will do this with all the hens and cockerels until I have a pen full of clean birds and then proceed to breed clean birds. I believe most of the silvers I have came from a crossing of Big Silver with the Gold Laced hens, the one Silver hen I had went broody before I could put her in the pen with the Big Silver, raised chicks and then went broody 2 more times this summer, she was in the pen with the Big Buff Laced boy who we know has VH, I will test her again using this same procedure. I may get lucky with her. So what do you think of the plan?? It may take a couple of years or so, but I am sure I will do it.

Just got back from the OH National. Wow what a bunch of birds! The birds I got in Lucasville came from Kim and Kendra Aldrich. They are very nice people. I didn't get any off them this time except a Cornish hen. I also just picked up more Buff Brahma Bantams from Don Emery's line.

I just missed you Gary, Kendra had been talking to you a short time before my last stop of heading home. I would love to see your birds at on of the shows. The SLB and the BLRB's.

I wish I could have stuck around a little longer but my legs couldn't take any more. A bad accident and age are catching up with me.

Hope everyone has a safe trip home.
Yeah, I didn't stick around as long as I probably would have liked either. Had my daughter there, a OSU student, who had to get to work in the afternoon. I believe she thought we stopped and talked to most of the people there anyway. She was trying to talk me into buying the pair of white Cornish bantams Kim and Kendra had for sale. (My Dad just got rid of his large fowl Cornish he has raised for ever.) Daughter thought they would look cute set up in a parrot cage as house chickens for Grandpa. They did look good, but doubt Grandma would see the humor in it.

I thought too there was good numbers of good quality Brahmas exhibited, and in the sale coops. Most large fowl Brahmas I have seen entered in quite a while, no doubt due to it being the Brahma national show. Nice to see some some partridge entered. There was one silver laced hen entered, not mine, but out of some I sold for layers a few years back. Would have prefered a little better example of the variety for their first showing, but they took the plunge.

I have a question for the L.F. Brahma owners....What height are your roosts?

I would like to remodel the coop this week and put in new roosts with the poo boards under them but my 19 week cockerels are so clumsy I'm afraid they may hurt themselves if I make it too high. The (2x4) roosts I have now are only 2 feet and 3 feet high and it seems like every day a different cock is limping....maybe because every night someone gets pushed off the roost while they are settling in.

I make my roosts so the lowest rung is high enough for my largest cocks can walk under without ducking. I hing my roosts so they can be swung up and hooked to ceiling when cleaning coop, or catching/sorting birds. I also attach a removable cleated ramp from floor to lowest roost, for the reason you mention. I read in an old book that the short jump downs can cause joint issues. The thinking is with higher jumps the birds either choose to, or have enough time to use their wings more.

I have a question for the L.F. Brahma owners....What height are your roosts?

I would like to remodel the coop this week and put in new roosts with the poo boards under them but my 19 week cockerels are so clumsy I'm afraid they may hurt themselves if I make it too high. The (2x4) roosts I have now are only 2 feet and 3 feet high and it seems like every day a different cock is limping....maybe because every night someone gets pushed off the roost while they are settling in.
Let me start by saying I have LF Cochins and LF BL Brahmas, but I do not provide roosts, just deep bedding. My Cochin males occasionally slip the tendon in the hock, and that results in culling. I have not had any of my LF Cochin x LF Brahma crosses do that yet, but they also don't have roosts.

I never thought about the roosts being too low but maybe that's the problem because they don't use their wings at all and seem to land hard.

Thank you both.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom