Brahma Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
gig.gif

A bop would be in order. The whole "show quality" business drives me crazy. I hatch a hundred or so every year and maybe a fifth end up being what I would consider show worthy. Ruthless culling is required to be successful at showing or breeding.

LOL!!! I am sure it does!!! I would love to see an article out of a few of you showing us at least the basics for show quality & breeder quality brahma! I dont show but have a few good birds I would love to understand better!

Last edited:
I have been trying to research
caf.gif
and figure all of this out myself, I know you are supposed to have a Gold Laced in order to keep the color in the lacing . THey say the lacing fades when you continually breed Buff Laced to Buff Laced. That being said even though I am not sure I think that breeding them together is the only way to keep your color in your lacing. I have 2 GLB hens 1GLB rooster and 2 BLB roosters in a pen waiting on them to start laying
fl.gif
I am looking for some quality hatching eggs to speed up mine.
As Big Medicine has said, Buff Laced is basically Gold Laced with the Dominant White gene factored in it negates the black around the gold and is white instead. If you Put a Gold Laced Cock over a Gold Laced Hen you will only get gold laced. My experience so far with them is that you need the gold laced or the color does fade, but they are a work in progress. Proof that they can be bred to maintain that nice bay color is the Buff Laced Polish, to my knowledge that problem does not happen with them and they maintain the color.

I was wondering if I have a gold laced cock and a light hen will the offspring be sexlinked? Also, would it be possible for any of the offspring to be silver laced? I plan on finding out in the spring mostly for curiosity sake

I was wondering if I have a gold laced cock and a light hen will the offspring be sexlinked? Also, would it be possible for any of the offspring to be silver laced? I plan on finding out in the spring mostly for curiosity sake
The pullets will be Gold with incomplete lacing, and the cockerels will recieved one gold and one silver gene and have incomplete lacing

They should be homozygous though for Co the columbian gene.

WOW, awesome! They must be good if you can already tell they are show birds and they are STILL in the hatcher. What line are they out of? I might need to get some of those.
droolin.gif
celebrate.gif
clap.gif
wee.gif
gig.gif

Hi fellow brahma lovers. Last year was my first experience with chickens.. still have 3 of original 7 from feed store. But alas I saw brahmas. I have 8 4 month pullets from Ideal Poultry.. large buff. Next month I will be getting the other 2 varieties along with some boys.. and keep the best for a small flock. Ive learned so much here.. ty. Will post pics soon. I was interested in showing, but after hours of reading couldnt find any Pacific NW breeders. I cant do hatching eggs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom