Brahma Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi fellow brahma lovers. Last year was my first experience with chickens.. still have 3 of original 7 from feed store. But alas I saw brahmas. I have 8 4 month pullets from Ideal Poultry.. large buff. Next month I will be getting the other 2 varieties along with some boys.. and keep the best for a small flock. Ive learned so much here.. ty. Will post pics soon. I was interested in showing, but after hours of reading couldnt find any Pacific NW breeders. I cant do hatching eggs.
Hello IndianHeaven
frow.gif
"If you dont have pics they dont exist"
gig.gif

Welcome!! Maybe you can post in the for sale wanted section of thread or check on your local thread...4
https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/67/buy-sell-trade
https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you

oh its soooo not good to go to the buy sell trade section... I swear its a magnet! No I can not have more eggs in the bator no no no!!

I use a ladder roost for all my Brahmas, the first rung is 13 inches from the floor, they are heavy birds and they all want to be on the top rung of the roost. I have had a hen pushed off and she broke her leg, so all my roosts now have a shelve under the top rung with wire trays covered with newspaper for easy clean up and safety.
Lorrie

I will be getting into the Brahmas this spring, can't wait. It hit me just the other day- will my current roosts and nest box work? How high is to high? My chickens now go up into the rafters, about 7 feet. I didn't plan on it but that is where they go. Rhode reds and some rocks. I really don't want a brahma with a broken leg. I guess i would like to know how much they hop/fly to get to a higher roost so I can plan accordingly.

I really love this thread it proves to be useful and at the same time entertaining.

I dont know much about show or "quality" I want to learn, but I think they are very pretty brahma!!

Thank you! I don't know much, either. I did read that too many foot feathers is bad, but they will probably never be show birds anyway. I'm just itching to learn, as well!

How can there ever be too many foot feathers? I love big sloppy feet!

My original partridge, Gizmo (both pictures), and the start of my love of Brahmas!

Wow! I'm so impressed with all the Brahma photos! I'm ordering buff and light's for spring delivery. Don't really care if they're show quality, I just love them all. Thanks to all for sharing pics of your "Majestic Ones". Makes me look forward to the next day's posts.

I think my roo has too many foot feathers....they are acutally growing out of their own skin flap on his outer toe and are similar to coarse wing feathers. He also has vulture hocks. I'm not showing or hatching any of my eggs I just use him for a protector and mediator which he is awesome at, although I have yet to crack a unfertilized egg so he is a good herd sire too
wink.png

Hello SD Bird Lady,
As long as your feather legged friend can keep his feathered legs from getting wet and freezing, I,m sure he's happy looking like he does. It sounds like he's beautiful and he found his rightful spot in the flock and maybe wouldn't want to go to shows anyway and cause all that "feather envy" among all the other roos. Lol
Vicki

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom