Brahma Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well i couldnt post for some reason in the give aways (free) so hoped it would be ok to post here. i have 4, 5 month old Columbian Lavender Brahma cockerels. Awesome color, very rare. Friendly curious birds. From NPIP and tested stock. These birds are from a well known breeder. I have 4 of these fabulous boys looking for homes. This breed produces a large light brown egg. These boys are very tame and come right to you. FREE TO GOOD HOME. Message me for pictures of breeders and actual birds.

I live in Sharpsburg Md. These are for pick up only.
"Fabulous boys".....now thats funny, I don't care who you are.

Ok, Brahmas Lovers! I have a question.....I've not had this issue ever with any other Hens, but these 2 girls are not having a great deal of luck with Egg consistency. I get double yokers which is great. I get soft shells. I get Shell less ...and some with membrane only around the white and yolk. I put Oyster Shell is all their feed. The Plymouth Rock raised with them eats the same and lays daily beautiful eggs. So, my question is What should I do to help them have good eggs. Yesterday the heat was awful, so I know they were uncomfortable, but I keep them cool, watering everywhere, free ranging under big plant growth, patio concrete hosed down...it was over 100, but this is what I got yesterday. I 've had this once before with the membrane no shell egg, but off and on the soft shell...HELP! Is it this breed??????? I don't care if they ever lay, cause they are just the sweetest most loveable Hens I've ever had, I just want to know if I need to do something else...

I had a hen that just layed Double Yolkers some said it was because she was young eventually she gave up the Ghost too much of her energy was lost making the eggs according to the vet after the neucropsy . do you use Gritt ? and Mayve a dish of nothing but Oyster shells would be better . Also buy some shells from someone or eggs and feed them the shell as well .

If your feeding some food that has GMO in it Try organic and Lots of Squash from a garden will help with the Iron . Tammy

I had a hen that just layed Double Yolkers some said it was because she was young eventually she gave up the Ghost too much of her energy was lost making the eggs according to the vet after the neucropsy . do you use Gritt ? and Mayve a dish of nothing but Oyster shells would be better . Also buy some shells from someone or eggs and feed them the shell as well .

If your feeding some food that has GMO in it Try organic and Lots of Squash from a garden will help with the Iron . Tammy
Tammy, I have 7 hens, I let them run the 1/2 acre of dirt and stuff, is that the kind of grits you mean? they dirt bath and normal behavior. I did put the Oyster shells in a container next to their feed. I also put some in the feed to be sure they were eating. We boil eggs I will chop it up and feed those two by hand to see if they will take it. I don't know if GMO is in the feed? I don't give a lot of scraps, but gave them peas/corn and peaches yesterday. They like that. I wonder why none of the other hens have an issue just my 2 Brahmas? Thank you, I'll check out the bag on my feed.

Tammy, I have 7 hens, I let them run the 1/2 acre of dirt and stuff, is that the kind of grits you mean? they dirt bath and normal behavior. I did put the Oyster shells in a container next to their feed. I also put some in the feed to be sure they were eating. We boil eggs I will chop it up and feed those two by hand to see if they will take it. I don't know if GMO is in the feed? I don't give a lot of scraps, but gave them peas/corn and peaches yesterday. They like that. I wonder why none of the other hens have an issue just my 2 Brahmas? Thank you, I'll check out the bag on my feed.
I peeled my boiled eggs, got out my bullet and pulverized them and hand fed it to LaLa and ChaCha, of course Madonna and Betty and Boops wanted in on it too...I put the Oyster Shell bowl next to the water on my patio so I can see if they are eating it. I read somewhere to add apple cider vinegar to their water to help absorption...ever heard of that?

Quote:Originally Posted by LaLa Chickie

Ok, Brahmas Lovers! I have a question.....I've not had this issue ever with any other Hens, but these 2 girls are not having a great deal of luck with Egg consistency. I get double yokers which is great. I get soft shells. I get Shell less ...and some with membrane only around the white and yolk. I put Oyster Shell is all their feed. The Plymouth Rock raised with them eats the same and lays daily beautiful eggs. So, my question is What should I do to help them have good eggs. Yesterday the heat was awful, so I know they were uncomfortable, but I keep them cool, watering everywhere, free ranging under big plant growth, patio concrete hosed down...it was over 100, but this is what I got yesterday. I 've had this once before with the membrane no shell egg, but off and on the soft shell...HELP! Is it this breed??????? I don't care if they ever lay, cause they are just the sweetest most loveable Hens I've ever had, I just want to know if I need to do something else...

Since it only appears to be happening with a couple layers and not the whole flock, I'm thinking it may not be diet or disease related. When joined with the double yolking issue, it could be that the ovary is releasing yolks too close together in time. It's said that it takes a little more than a day to make an egg. If two yolks are released together you get the double yolkers, if in close proximity but not at the same time its plausible that there just isn't enough time and material to get a good shell on the second yolk. There's probably an market for an egg you don't have to peel. I'ld hatch that no shell egg, and get started on the next growth industry.

Last edited:
Since it only appears to be happening with a couple layers and not the whole flock, I'm thinking it may not be diet or disease related. When joined with the double yolking issue, it could be that the ovary is releasing yolks too close together in time. It's said that it takes a little more than a day to make an egg. If two yolks are released together you get the double yolkers, if in close proximity but not at the same time its plausible that there just isn't enough time and material to get a good shell on the second yolk. There's probably an market for an egg you don't have to peel. I'ld hatch that no shell egg, and get started on the next growth industry.
hahaah, thank you! LOL...You should see them when I boil them, it blows up like a big water balloon but it shrinks back down after the boiling cycle ends...LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom