Brahma Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
No intentions of running a good man down, I did say the birds had exquisite feathering. I knew if I posted folks would want to know where they came from. (and indeed I have received messages about the breeder). I understand that Darks are hard to find good examples of and I never mentioned winning a show, just exhibiting.
I work closely with 4-H kids and we discuss buying good stock all the time. We also discuss genetics and if you have a bird with VH it will continually breed that way and perhaps any breeder needs to add a caveat, buyer beware, out of fairness. That is not "homework", that is honesty. The other "breeder" I got the eggs from, can't recall her name or I would mention it too. Not to run anyone down but to provide true and accurate information.

Most Dark bantams carry the VH gene even if they don't show it. Dick Horstman is probably your best source. He bought Don Emery's line a few years back. Thats where his buffs came from too TNBEARCHICK. Jimmy is in poor health and mostly out of birds now. He is a friend. There are several good breeders working on Dark bantams. John Beamers in Canada may have the best Darks. He got his start from Greg Williams. He actually has won shows in Canada with Dark Bantams. Mike Gilbert in Wisconsin is working to improve the Darks as well. I sent him an EXTRA typey light male year before last. He was using it to improve Dark type. I had a few Darks recently. I kept comparing them to my Lights and Buffs and sold them all at Shawnee. I commend anyone who is willing to work with the Dark bantams. I appreciate your work with the 4H kids as well.

Tim

BTW, Dee posts here occasionally.

Most Dark bantams carry the VH gene even if they don't show it. Dick Horstman is probably your best source. He bought Don Emery's line a few years back. Thats where his buffs came from too TNBEARCHICK. Jimmy is in poor health and mostly out of birds now. He is a friend. There are several good breeders working on Dark bantams. John Beamers in Canada may have the best Darks. He got his start from Greg Williams. He actually has won shows in Canada with Dark Bantams. Mike Gilbert in Wisconsin is working to improve the Darks as well. I sent him an EXTRA typey light male year before last. He was using it to improve Dark type. I had a few Darks recently. I kept comparing them to my Lights and Buffs and sold them all at Shawnee. I commend anyone who is willing to work with the Dark bantams. I appreciate your work with the 4H kids as well.

Tim

BTW, Dee posts here occasionally.
Thanks Tim, I truly appreciate the info. I did not know Mike Gilbert was working on them. I know Mike, Our bantam Salmon Fav was Champion Land fowl, Champion FL, Champion bantam of Show and Reserve Show Champion at this years CRPC show in Galesville, WI. In fact I bought a pr. of bantam Buffs from a young man at the show. After bringing them home, I was terribly pleased with them, I noticed the K, was ... picking on the P a lot, trying to pull her out of the corner he would make a nest for her in etc. after separating them, she went broody! She had 2 of her own eggs and a couple of fosters. She was an excellent broody but squished one chick, as it hatched, ignored another and almost killed the last one by skinning its neck and back of head! She sat on those eggs w/o even panting through some unbearable heat this late summer. Only pulled her breast feathers out. After rescuing the chicks, as they hatched when the weather went cold(!) my wife finding them while I was at another show, I put her in a pen to break her broody cycle, which was very effective. Then she chose to molt! She will be in a show the end of this month a long with her mate. I am also taking some of their starts to sell. She is a good tempered and gentle bird, that likes a good scratch and has done a great job of growing back her feathers. The male has not molted and has won BB is a couple of shows but, he is not so friendly, he is a biter. A bite and twist blood drawer. Normally I would cull this aggressive behavior but he has been very fertile, and that vigor is important in breeding stock. The pair have not been together since she became broody and will not be till after this last show. Those 2 chicks my wife saved, are great little chicks now. After careful monitoring of them they are healthy and vigorous.

Yes, the Buffs tend to be broody. I sold two buff females to a young man from Wisconsin a year or so back. His initials are R.M. that wouldn't be the young man your speaking of?

Tim

Yes, the Buffs tend to be broody. I sold two buff females to a young man from Wisconsin a year or so back. His initials are R.M. that wouldn't be the young man your speaking of?

Tim
No. No those are not his initials. This young man was 13. He was there with his Mom and from Galesville, super nice folks.
Btw, I did have an email correspondence with Mike Gilbert, and spoke with Bob Rennolet. Bob said he may have a black or two, "running around" but he wasn't sure. I know Bob pretty well. Mike thought I would be in the salmon Fav business by now LOL. Mike said his was a work in progress and explained what he was doing with the darks. Dick Horstman appears to be the next option.

Tim just out of curiosity why isn't the SOP for Brahmas posted on the Brahma club website? I think it would really help a bunch of people out when first getting in the breed if this was available. Ameraucanas, Silkies, Cochins, Buckeyes, etc. all have it on their website.

Not really sure. MY OPINION: its in support of the parent organizations. The main ways the ABA and APA generate funds is though Standard sales and membership dues. If every breed club published breed standards....there would be no need for anyone to buy. Again, MY OPINION.....serious breeders should own the Standard. Look how much quality birds cost, feed, housing etc. The hard back version of the SOP is around 50-60 dollars I believe. I have it and the "pocket" version of the "Bantam Standard". It fits in my show box. When questions arise at shows I have it for quick reference. WELL WORTH THE MONEY!

Tim

I would like to add to the Bantam Dark Conversation. My son got his start of Bantam Dark Brahmas with an egg purchase from Dick Horstman last fall. He was lucky enough to hatch out (via styrofoam incubators) 2 cockerels and 6 pullets. All 8 have vulture hocks of some form (as expected with any BDB), but if you read the standard, vulture hocks with soft feather type (in the feather shaft) should not DQ at any poultry shows. Notice that I say should not. My son was lucky enough to go to the National Meet held in Lucasville this year and have BV with 1 cockerel and RV with 1 pullet but he also attended the fall Newport show and all 8 BDB were DQ'd by a judge that didn't know the true definition of vulture hocks. Judges opinions vary and you learn from it.

My son is willing to work on the breed and knows that the process will be long. He also realizes that BDB's will rarely place higher than either the buff or light varieties. He enjoys the process and is learning daily while developing the his contacts via joining the American Brahma Club and the American Bantam Association.

You taught me something Tim, I didn't know that you could buy pocket versions. I have a hard back version but that's all.

I should clarify...only the ABA "Bantam Standard" comes in the "pocket" version. VERY handy. I only do Bantams so it suits me well.

Showvol made several excellent points about VHs AND judges. ALL true in my opinion.

Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom