Brahma Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not really sure. MY OPINION: its in support of the parent organizations. The main ways the ABA and APA generate funds is though Standard sales and membership dues. If every breed club published breed standards....there would be no need for anyone to buy. Again, MY OPINION.....serious breeders should own the Standard. Look how much quality birds cost, feed, housing etc. The hard back version of the SOP is around 50-60 dollars I believe. I have it and the "pocket" version of the "Bantam Standard". It fits in my show box. When questions arise at shows I have it for quick reference. WELL WORTH THE MONEY!

Tim

The other thing about a Standard is the breed description is nice, but so much of the best info is in that first 40 or so pages of the APA book anyway. The description alone is the icing on the cake, not the main dish.

One thing I have learned with the BDB's and judges is to know what pages of the current standard that applies to the definition of a vulture hock and what the variety's standard is. Not one single judge can know the entire standard for all varieties and breeds. Most are very proficient in what they do and sometimes make mistakes (if brought to their attention). But there are a few that will still disagree (even if they been shown different) and you learn not to attend shows that hire those particular judges.

And BGMATT, you are so correct. Those first 40 pages are where you build your knowledge from and it allows you to take it to the shows and see how it applies.

Last edited:
One thing I have learned with the BDB's and judges is to know what pages of the current standard that applies to the definition of a vulture hock and what the variety's standard is. Not one single judge can know the entire standard for all varieties and breeds. Most are very proficient in what they do and sometimes make mistakes (if brought to their attention). But there are a few that will still disagree (even if they been shown different) and you learn not to attend shows that hire those particular judges.

And BGMATT, you are so correct. Those first 40 pages are where you build your knowledge from and it allows you to take it to the shows and see how it applies.

The problem is most larger shows hire several judges....your not sure who will be judging Brahmas till the show date. I just go expecting to be spanked and am always pleasantly suprised if my birds do well. I enjoy swapping howdies with my chicken buds more nowadays anyway. Chicken shows are the greatest!

Tim

hmm.png
Going to be honest I don't know. The buffs weren't really that good( only a few were there ). The Aldrich's had one pullet but that's it as far as buffs go.

Actually Tim, i'm more afraid to enter the smaller shows with only one or two judges total. We are learning to schedule the major shows that we can attend first and support the smaller local shows/fairs when possible. Being the newbies, it takes time to learn the do's and don'ts. But we'll learn more from the Knoxville ABA National show in December.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom