Brahma Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would go ahead and make the door big enough that if by chance you go on to get the big guys you are covered. I wouldn't sweat the insulation loss too much. As long as your coop is draft free when door is closed you should be fine. Another draw back to a small door is on hot summer evening when that is a cool place, sometimes a dominant bird will decide to roost there, not allowing others to pass by and get in the coop.

Hi, I have a 8 month old buff brahma hen. Is she BQ or should she be culled?
is it just me or does she look to have an odd body structure? I also thought her tail looked different. Just simply making a few observations. Hopefully someone with more experience with the breed will chime in.

The tail is terrible. It should look like an inverted U from behind and I can tell from the second picture that it isn't. Plus something else just doesn't look right about like it's angled too high or something. She LOOKS light in weight to me. I wouldn't breed her.

yuckyuck.gif

Her top-line is too steep and not at all a "gradual incline". She does appear a bit excited as Gary mentioned, however...her tail appears wry to her left in all four photos and extremely "pinched" in all four photos as well. The one photo she is facing the camera, her head appears a bit narrow. Her comb and wattles look good and her color looks okay. I would not use her simply because her type is lacking.

Compare your bird to this Sewell painting.

Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom