Brahma Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure when I was able to sex mine this year. All I remember is that it is fairly early. The biggest thing I look for are saddle feathers on the males. Usually my males had scraggily looking tails compared to the nice neat tails of the females. Males also get red in their "head parts" at an early age.

I suppose I should share what my end goal is, then maybe I can get some more focused advise. I would like to see our 4-H groups in the area branch out into meat chickens for showing as well as laying chickens. Our state only outlawed rooster fighting a few years ago, so most of the stock that is around for the kids to raise for the fair are from that game stock. They make great parents and they lay a lot of eggs, which is great, but there are more uses for chickens than fighting and egg laying. The only other supply of chickens for these kids are from TSC, which again, are good chickens for egg laying but our local store does not generally carry anything except RIRs, Leghorns and maybe some Barred Rocks. On the other hand, if your kid wants to raise sheep, goats, pigs or a steer, there is an ample supply of breeders that bring in good stock for sale.

I'd like to get some of the kids more interested in chickens and I think that I can do that by having a beautiful breed that is easy to handle and easy to raise. With the beautiful feathering that Brahmas have, with the proper care and showmanship, the kids should be able to do well with this breed. Honestly, I was debating between Wyandottes and Brahmas, but Brahma is easier to spell...just kidding, they had all of the traits that I was looking for in a chicken.

The great thing is that here in NM, it is rare for a community to outlaw having chickens in the backyard. I just think that chickens could open the door for more of the "city" kids (we're talking a town of about 25,000) to be able to participate, 4H and FFA are huge here but so many kids don't have enough room to raise a lamb or a pig. So, that is my end goal, to try to get more kids interested in showing chickens for 4H and FFA. I have a plan of attack, but I need to make sure that the stock that I'm putting out there is top quality, even if the colors are not standard for the regular chicken shows. I need chickens with the personality and feathering to be able to show well with the proper care and I've decided that the Brahma is the one. I think they are also a chicken that the kids can fall in love with, which will help me with my goal.

So, in a nutshell, I'm trying to brainwash a bunch of little kids to love chickens as I do!
I am just reading thru back posts and I have to commend you for your enthusiasm and ambition, good luck with the prospective Brahma kids.

This is why i got my banties!!! I have bbs from jackie koetadich and a pair of bantam buckeyes
Here in ne space at a premium all ages of kids in showmanship had bantams and the buffs are one of the largest showiest breeds!!! I love them!!!

thumbsup.gif

Well spread inverted "U" shaped tail for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom