Brahma Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Something. I just assumed most people find them too ugly( not that I find them attractive, just practical ) or the bulk of people who do have them just don't have anything close to SQ. I'll show mine off proudly when I get them!

Last edited:
Just perusing through the new issue of Poultry Press. Brahmas well represented in recent shows. Large Lights from both of the better known northern breeders did very well.

Nice to see a large light hen take Reserve Champion Large fowl, and Champion Asiatic, and a large dark hen take Reserve Asiatic at the Tennessee Valley Show.

A buff pullet was placed Reserved Grand Champion Bantam at the Cape Fear Show, again by a well known breeder that has been mentioned is these threads.

And probably more when I get to read it through, but this is what photos drew my eye.

Just a reminder to some of the new folks who think that good quality Brahmas are nearly impossible to find. It may take a little time and investment in the hobby, but the birds are out there. Join the breed club, (see the bottom of any of Tim's posts). Subscribe to The Poultry Press. See who are winning shows, what show winning birds look like, often how to contact these breeders, when and where upcoming shows and swaps will happen. Go to the shows, look, learn, and impress on these guy's and gal's, how serious you are about learning and getting started with quality birds. If not that day, lay the foundation for getting birds in the future as they may become available. There is not always a quick fix that we seem to expect these days.

This is how I am feeling too

Read Big Medicine's post. If you demand instant gratification.....Brahmas may not be for you?

You're better off waiting and saving up the money to buy some really good quality birds. Don't just buy the first ones you find. Take time to research and then when you are confident in a line and have the money then go ahead and jump in.

I suspect part of that may be that most of the people who have naked necks are probably too embarrassed to admit they have them, at least to speak about it in public anyway.
lau.gif
Big Medicine, you are too funny! I'll admit, if I had any (I don't) I wouldn't admit to it either (no, really, I don't have any).

Read Big Medicine's post. If you demand instant gratification.....Brahmas may not be for you?
When I first started raising chickens again, I really, really wanted Brahmas. I couldn't find any, no where, nada....just couldn't find any that rung my bell and that I thought were show quality.

So, in order to get my chicken fix and get rid of some of my desire for instant gratification, I bought some pullets from a local 4-H kid that were egg layers. Of course, one of those pullets turned out to be a rooster (which was fine). I still kept looking for my brahmas, but I was able to contain my anxiety about finding the ones that I want. I still haven't found exactly what I'm looking for, but I am much further along than I was this time last year.

Anyway, I agree that if you need instant gratification, any heritage or rare breed is probably not for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom