Brahma Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Whitey is absolutely beautiful. I just wish you were closer - I would love some of his offspring to hatch!

Sjisty, you have a beautiful variety of color in your flock! - I'd love eggs if I weren't living in SA

big medicine, here in SA we have the colors, Partridge, Light, Dark and Buff Colombia. Is there any way that new colors could be developed via just using those available Brahma colors? I'm thinking of Buff Laced that Dan Powell worked on creating.

Thank you, I love these guys. There are actually a couple of slightly different colors, but they were camera shy yesterday. I have another blue partridge cockerel and a pullet who is almost "lacy." Nobody's old enough to lay yet, though, except their mom, Buttercup, who is a lemon pyle. We lost their dad over the summer.

Quote:
This link will tell you the route Dan and I took to come up with our birds.
http://www.the-coop.org/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=29277#Post29277

For the most part you will probably have to outcross to bring in some new colors. Then breed for type to get them recognizable as Brahmas. The easiest might be to pick up blue and then breed back to their black patterned counterparts, once you have the blue established you could breed back to good typey, say partridge for example, as many times as needed to get proper type set. This could be done with any of the colors you mentioned, but I think it a more striking contrast on a red, or buff based bird.

Last edited:
Quote:
This link will tell you the route Dan and I took to come up with our birds.
http://www.the-coop.org/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=29277#Post29277

For the most part you will probably have to outcross to bring in some new colors. Then breed for type to get them recognizable as Brahmas. The easiest might be to pick up blue and then breed back to their black patterned counterparts, once you have the blue established you could breed back to good typey, say partridge for example, as many times as needed to get proper type set. This could be done with any of the colors you mentioned, but I think it a more striking contrast on a red, or buff based bird.

Thank you big medicine. I find it very informative, I still need to read all of it.

BUMPS! This this an important thread, helping to keep it on pg.1.

big medicine, any new projects? I'd love to see some of your Gold-Lace Brahma
Sjisty, Did I say how beautiful are those Blue Partridge boys you have there?
droolin.gif

Loving those gold laced ones! The buff laced need more maturing, or perhaps they just don't have the best lacing. I'm sure its just young feathers though.
smile.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom