Brahma Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
BrahmaRooster, He lost both feet? For real? What does he do without feet? Is it maybe just part of hes feet? I'm horrified at the visual of him hopping around on peg legs. I'm not trying to be funny at all, I feel so sad for the big guy. Is he still alive? Alaska must get bitter cold. Best regards.

Dirt Farmer, Thanks for the info. I'm going to study this MS. a bit. Just one more thing to look out for, huh.

Here's my TSC buff brahmas. I think I have one (possibly 2) Roos and a hen. Does that sound right?

Pullet?

Roo?

I have a third one but he/she was camera shy

This morning I had my last chick of the batch hatch out. It obviously has something wrong with it and I'm not too real sure what to do. It's right leg keep like going and bending to the left under it's body. Then it will fall on it's right side and be unable to get back up. I took and tied the legs together using vet wrap but that is not much help because it still allows the leg to bend underneath. I also wanted to know if this is a genetic problem or not? If it is I will cull it otherwise I will try to save it.

Last edited:
I had a particularly virulent strain of mycoplasma synoviae. It was a variant that caused more respiratory than joint issues. I tried controlling it by consulting with the state vet/lab, and with a private avian vet. Over the course of months the flock kept getting reinfected. Some died, some had chronic respiratory issues, some got secondary infections. A few did OK, (Big Medicine, the SLB were more resistant showing mild symptoms compared to the others), but I couldn't bring anything new in without them getting sick. Ultimately I just got tired of sick birds and being a reservoir for avian diseases. I also wanted to be able to share stock with other hobbyist with a clean conscience. And I wasn't wild about all the drugs that were going into my food source. I know getting MS in a flock is not uncommon. Had it not been so persistent, even in the face of professional treatment and meticulous husbandry, I may have tried to carry on and just breed for resistance. If it happens again, I may do that and just never let them leave the farm. I know in commercial flocks they probably would not depopulate for MS, but they have a natural business cycle where they start fresh periodly for other reasons. It presents more of a problem for an ongoing flock.
Well that certainly sucks, and I give you props for not passing known troubles onto unsuspecting buyers.

About 30 years, many birds, and three places ago, I had a outbreak of what turned out to be Laryngotracheitis. Ended taking birds to the State Ag. lab to get it figured out, (back before this here interweb thingy). Ended up getting my place quarantined, having a State Vet come out, and recheck, and clear my flock, so many days/months later. Shortly before the outbreak I had bought a nice large light Brahma hen from a well known breeder, come to find out he had recently innoculated for Larango, and being young and stupid, I had not kept her seperate from my birds. She was big and healthy, but shedding the live virus. I don't think he realized he was putting my flock at risk, and I **** sure didn't.

I have tried to breed for toughness, and resiliency over the years. The only thing I do vaccinate for is Marek's Desease. Never was a big issue, maybe only losing a bird or two. But it seemed too often it was that one cockerel, or pullet, you were really counting on for next years breeding pen. With projects like mine, a key bird can save, or cost, you years of advancement, so I do make that concession. But then I don't show, or very, very, rarely bring in outside stock.

I have a rooster, that I wondered if the experts might appraise. He doesn't like side shots so it kind of hard.

These were taken before winter. Unfortunately he sustained frostbite, lost both feet, and about 4 pounds.
I'll let Tim, or one of the light breeders, give the low down on color/pattern, but that does not look bad to me.

Kind of hard to get a feel for his build from the shots. Does not appear to have as much width of skull as you would like to see. But one thing that does catch my eye, (not in a good way), is his comb. A good pea comb should look similar to B above.

A few of my lemon Pyle girls
BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!
love.gif
anyone one this thread have any of your beautiful birds....I really want some!!!! but I like the heavy look and tons of feathers and that evil look from under the ridges of their eyes! .... and im just not finding it here in the states! but I know they are here......... and probably on this thread!
clap.gif

BrahmaRooster, He lost both feet? For real? What does he do without feet? Is it maybe just part of hes feet? I'm horrified at the visual of him hopping around on peg legs. I'm not trying to be funny at all, I feel so sad for the big guy. Is he still alive? Alaska must get bitter cold. Best regards.

Dirt Farmer, Thanks for the info. I'm going to study this MS. a bit. Just one more thing to look out for, huh.
hit.gif

Big Med. Thanks for the reminder to quarantine. Can't be overstated.
Thanks also for the sketches of combs. What's the one called in sketch "G" called? I've never seen it and it looks scary!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom