Brahma Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for the pictures Sjisty. The pictures of the splash partridge point out how the penciling gets lost or weakened. I'm not sure why, but I didn't want to blather on in my previous response. You have some of the better blue partridge I've seen.
And Tammy N is right, welcome to the thread Chickengirl1304.
Big Medicne the red pyle fellow is more buff than others I've seen. I think some of these newer colors don't have the genetic consistency of the more established patterns. Who knows how they were produced really? I'll have to go back and re-read Brereton's "Creating New Colours". I think he specifically addressed this, he even dumbed it down for me. Great guy that Grant.
I have three splash partridge chicks in the brooder right now that have the down color of a white chicken. Will be interesting. Have a good day all.

Edit: After reading my post I didn't want anybody to think I was being sarcastic regarding Grant Brereton's book. He presents each topic with the scientific explaination on the left side of the page for students of genetics, and a layman's explaination on the right side of the page. I don't even glance to the left.

Last edited:
That's part of what makes this hobby so interesting for me. The visual part of their genetics that a bird shows (phenotype) may well be covering hidden genetic possibilities present (genotype). Especially project type gene pools. These guys developed out of my blue laced red project birds, yet considerably different. More of a splash red columbian pattern.

Well I wanted this breed so that I could breed them and sell them. and he is selling them for $20/egg. If they will not breed true maybe I don't want to get into this lol. Thank you everybody for your replies. However I did order some gold laced Brahmas that are on their way, do they breed true I hope?

Last edited:
$20 per egg sounds rather high. I sell mine for $60/dozen. Before you ask - I am backed up with orders, so am not taking any more right now, but in another month I should be caught up.

Well I wanted this breed so that I could breed them and sell them. and he is selling them for $20/egg. If they will not breed true maybe I don't want to get into this lol. Thank you everybody for your replies. However I did order some gold laced Brahmas that are on their way, do they breed true I hope?
For $20 an egg I'd be looking for a solid gold yolk.

For $20 an egg I'd be looking for a solid gold yolk.

yuckyuck.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom