Brahma Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, Brahmas Lovers! I have a question.....I've not had this issue ever with any other Hens, but these 2 girls are not having a great deal of luck with Egg consistency. I get double yokers which is great. I get soft shells. I get Shell less ...and some with membrane only around the white and yolk. I put Oyster Shell is all their feed. The Plymouth Rock raised with them eats the same and lays daily beautiful eggs. So, my question is What should I do to help them have good eggs. Yesterday the heat was awful, so I know they were uncomfortable, but I keep them cool, watering everywhere, free ranging under big plant growth, patio concrete hosed down...it was over 100, but this is what I got yesterday. I 've had this once before with the membrane no shell egg, but off and on the soft shell...HELP! Is it this breed??????? I don't care if they ever lay, cause they are just the sweetest most loveable Hens I've ever had, I just want to know if I need to do something else...

When I boil this one, I'll take a photo of how it looks while boiling. Its' crazy looking...

Can't wait!!!!
ya.gif
wee.gif
celebrate.gif

A few years back I picked up a couple pullets from a fellow project breeder for a side project I had in mind. These gals had been running in general population with every body else from maybe 4 months old that summer untill forming up breeding pens the following spring. When they started laying, something was noticably wrong, similiar to your description, poorly shelled eggs. They were feed the same rations as my other breeding pens, all with additional free choice oyster shells on the side. The other pens were all producing strong shells.

I ended up upping the oyster shell in my next batch of feed, which helped. But I still had to make sure the nest boxes had plenty of straw in it, as soon as the straw would get a little thin, I would start finding eggs with a dinged end, from dropping from the hen.

I suspect this difficulty in utilizing the avalable calcium in their diet was genetic. So far this has not shown itself in their daughters, although their eggs do seem to hatch incredibly easily.

Last edited:

This is Ranger my buff brahma banty hen. I'm actually not sure if she's full brahma, as I got her as a chick from my mom last summer and all of her flock runs together.

Last edited:

This is Ranger my buff brahma banty hen. I'm actually not sure if she's full brahma, as I got her as a chick from my mom last summer and all of her flock runs together.
she is very pretty and is that a crest I see on her? WELCOME to BYC!

I bought six partridge chicks from a reputable hatchery and 5 grew out visible vulture hocks. Not sure about this one but they were all siblings so I know it carries the gene. I am wanting to start a partridge breeding program here in Texas. Would you breed this bird? It was born March 1st. I realize the partridge color is not sanctioned yet for show, and I am a recent member of the American Brahma Club. Also I cannot tell sex yet just by color (no crowing yet) so would appreciate any help.

Thank You,

Ann

I bought six partridge chicks from a reputable hatchery and 5 grew out visible vulture hocks. Not sure about this one but they were all siblings so I know it carries the gene. I am wanting to start a partridge breeding program here in Texas. Would you breed this bird? It was born March 1st. I realize the partridge color is not sanctioned yet for show, and I am a recent member of the American Brahma Club. Also I cannot tell sex yet just by color (no crowing yet) so would appreciate any help.

Thank You,

Ann

Thats a pullet.

I suspect this difficulty in utilizing the avalable calcium in their diet was genetic. So far this has not shown itself in their daughters, although their eggs do seem hatch incredibly easily.
I had the same thing happen and also thought that it was genetic until I talked to a friend, who is a vet, about it. If I remember right, he said the breeder may have fed too much calcium when they were young and damaged their parathyroid gland. While I had them I supplemented D3 to help with absorption. I think it was NutraCal powder that I added to their water.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom