Brahma Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had the same thing happen and also thought that it was genetic until I talked to a friend, who is a vet, about it. If I remember right, he said the breeder may have fed too much calcium when they were young and damaged their parathyroid gland. While I had them I supplemented D3 to help with absorption. I think it was NutraCal powder that I added to their water.

Interesting.

Can't wait!!!!
ya.gif
wee.gif
celebrate.gif
darn it! the outer casing got a tear in it so it turned out just like any other poached egg...The Crows loved it!

Ok, Brahmas Lovers! I have a question.....I've not had this issue ever with any other Hens, but these 2 girls are not having a great deal of luck with Egg consistency. I get double yokers which is great. I get soft shells. I get Shell less ...and some with membrane only around the white and yolk. I put Oyster Shell is all their feed. The Plymouth Rock raised with them eats the same and lays daily beautiful eggs. So, my question is What should I do to help them have good eggs. Yesterday the heat was awful, so I know they were uncomfortable, but I keep them cool, watering everywhere, free ranging under big plant growth, patio concrete hosed down...it was over 100, but this is what I got yesterday. I 've had this once before with the membrane no shell egg, but off and on the soft shell...HELP! Is it this breed??????? I don't care if they ever lay, cause they are just the sweetest most loveable Hens I've ever had, I just want to know if I need to do something else...

Today was a much better day. So, one day later of this heat wave all my girls laid beautiful eggs, including the 14yr old Madonna...so glad it is cooling down..it was still 95 ...

Betty, Madonna, Jessica, ChaCha and LaLa

This is Coo Coo not sure if she is standard or not. I think not. I got her at my local feed store.
I'm getting some Brahma chicks from a hatchery online. I don't know if that is the best idea. Especially right now with the hot weather.

Last edited:
I don't know much about showing. I have wanted to do it. But I think I may not have the time or the equipment to deal with it.
Does'nt take much "equipment". Most shows are one day, usually Saturday. I do four or five a year, mostly Fall. You get to meet, visit and make friends with people who are as nutty about Brahmas as we are. You get to see high quality birds.(at most shows) You get the oportunity to buy and sell birds with out the hassle of shipping, and you get to see the birds in person before you decide to buy. Go to a show to look before you decide to show. The people there will be happy to answer all your questions. I highly recommend it.

Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom