Brahma Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Theoretically, how many generations of would it take to make partridge out of buff and dark brahma crosses? 3 of my buff brahma pullets have some penciling and i.'m thinking of getting a dark cockerel to breed them with when they are grown. And what would I get if I used my buff cockerel on some dark pullets? General idea would be to cross babies from each set to each other next year. (These are not show birds, just pretty layers).

Theoretically, how many generations of would it take to make partridge out of buff and dark brahma crosses? 3 of my buff brahma pullets have some penciling and i.'m thinking of getting a dark cockerel to breed them with when they are grown. And what would I get if I used my buff cockerel on some dark pullets? General idea would be to cross babies from each set to each other next year. (These are not show birds, just pretty layers).

Breeding a dark male to your partially penciled buffs will likely improve the penciling, but all the pullets will be dark(silver based) and the cockerels will also probably look more like darks with gold bleed through( silver/gold split).

If you started by breeding your buff male(gold based columbian pattern) to dark females(silver based penciled pattern) you will end up with gold based partially penciled pullets, which you already have. And split cockerels like above with a weaker penciled pattern, due to your buff male being pure columbian patterned.

Theoretically you could take one of the split males from the first breeding above and breed it back to the dark hens and your partially penciled buff hens. With the dark hens you should get 50% dark(silver) pullets, and the other 50% should be gold based penciled pullets. Half the cockerels will again be split(gold/silver) and half dark(silver/silver).

Now this split male with your partially penciled buff hens should produce 50% gold and 50% silver pullets. And 50% split(silver/gold) and 50% gold (gold/gold) based males.

Now that you have straight gold males you could then concentrate on improving the pattern and quality of the penciling in future breedings as well as the ever present quest for type.

Eventually you will be able to produce a "golden partridge" bird, but the one thing that you will not be able to produce from these breedings is the mahogany required for a proper deep partridge color, with out outcrossing to bring it in.

Simple as pie, right ?

Breeding a dark male to your partially penciled buffs will likely improve the penciling, but all the pullets will be dark(silver based) and the cockerels will also probably look more like darks with gold bleed through( silver/gold split).

If you started by breeding your buff male(gold based columbian pattern) to dark females(silver based penciled pattern) you will end up with gold based partially penciled pullets, which you already have. And split cockerels like above with a weaker penciled pattern, due to your buff male being pure columbian patterned.

Theoretically you could take one of the split males from the first breeding above and breed it back to the dark hens and your partially penciled buff hens. With the dark hens you should get 50% dark(silver) pullets, and the other 50% should be gold based penciled pullets. Half the cockerels will again be split(gold/silver) and half dark(silver/silver).

Now this split male with your partially penciled buff hens should produce 50% gold and 50% silver pullets. And 50% split(silver/gold) and 50% gold (gold/gold) based males.

Now that you have straight gold males you could then concentrate on improving the pattern and quality of the penciling in future breedings as well as the ever present quest for type.

Eventually you will be able to produce a "golden partridge" bird, but the one thing that you will not be able to produce from these breedings is the mahogany required for a proper deep partridge color, with out outcrossing to bring it in.

Simple as pie, right ?
So where do the partridge come from? Did they come from a partridge cochin crossing in somewhere? I just wonder because it seems like all of the partridge brahma's that I see are a little weak in type.

That brings up a good point and a question I have for the brahma experts. If the standard recognized breeds are light, dark, and buff, then where do the buff laced, blue Columbian, black, partridge and the list goes on of colors come from? Does someone breed cochin into their brahmas for color but it still keeps the feathered feet and size?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom