Brahma Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Babies

Lacing is back pretty solid. Not so happy with size/type, Was forced by a dog kill to use a late hatched slightly smallish male last year that seems to have passed that trait on to his chicks. May give it another year with the best of the youngsters. If the next generation does not show improvement, may have to blow them up again, by introducing some massive lights, and start over. I have done it a few times before. The last time when the #@&%@# vulture hocks popped back up again after no sign for several generations, and I thought I had gotten it out of the line.
Well, I'm pretty impressed with the coloring. They are stunning! I have full confidence that you will get the size/type back. You've done some amazing work!

Lacing is back pretty solid. Not so happy with size/type, Was forced by a dog kill to use a late hatched slightly smallish male last year that seems to have passed that trait on to his chicks. May give it another year with the best of the youngsters. If the next generation does not show improvement, may have to blow them up again, by introducing some massive lights, and start over. I have done it a few times before. The last time when the #@&%@# vulture hocks popped back up again after no sign for several generations, and I thought I had gotten it out of the line.
One more question, would you lose less of the lacing/coloring if you covered your hens with a really nice dark instead? Just wondering why you are thinking about introducing some massive lights, whether it is because they have better type than the darks or some other reason?

One more question, would you lose less of the lacing/coloring if you covered your hens with a really nice dark instead? Just wondering why you are thinking about introducing some massive lights, whether it is because they have better type than the darks or some other reason?

I think it's 6 of one, half a dozen of the other. Probably get back to single lacing in about the same length of time by going with either cross. Although in the back of my mind I would be somewhat more concerned with potentially having issues with smutty or mossy backed hens with the dark blood.

Yeah but mainly because it is so much easier to find good lights than darks.

We have moved all of our Brahmas to the riding arena for our horses while we build new coops and breeding pens. It is so pleasant to be able to look out the window and see them from the kitchen they are such wonderful birds.
I was noticing the nice wide head on the Rooster we got from Darlene and boy 12 Brahma's can dry clean some feed.

I talked to Kendra Aldrich earlier and told her what I was looking for she referred me to Tom Roebuck and Dave Burchett I could not get ahold of either but I left a message on their phone.

Set 29 last Saturday. Very pleasantly surprised to find 16 of 17 Buff eggs developing! As far as I can tell, all the lights are developing. All pullet eggs.....none of my hens are laying yet.

Set 29 last Saturday. Very pleasantly surprised to find 16 of 17 Buff eggs developing! As far as I can tell, all the lights are developing. All pullet eggs.....none of my hens are laying yet.
I set 15 on Sunday. Four to replace my layers (just plain old barnyard mix) and the rest from my partridge brahma hens. Haven't checked them for development yet, I'll do that on Saturday or Sunday. The bad news is that I lost one of my barnyard mix layers today, she'd been acting a little strange, staying on her nest. I suspect that she was egg bound, not much I could do for her, but still it's sad to lose one. So now I'm down to three egg producers in the mixed pen, hopefully all of the four eggs hatch so I can get my egg production back up, otherwise, I may have to buy something to replace them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom