Brahma Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know they aren't SQ or even a showable color, lol, but thought I'd share some (very poor ;) ) updated pics of my GL Brahmas. They still have a little growing and filling out to do, but I absolutely love them!

Pardon the winter beaten yard, lol.

I wondered...how can you tell? I think one of them might have worms, growing so much slower and lighter weight than the other one...is there a treatment I should be doing?
The feathering is very advanced for their age. Generally, cockerels don't feather out very quickly. For instance, a cockerel would show the same amount of feathers at 10 weeks that yours are showing at 6 weeks. By the time the cockerels start to really feather out, their saddle feathers are longer than a pullets saddle feathers and you can tell that way. I don't know that this works for all breeds, but it definitely works for brahmas. I've also noticed that lights tend to feather faster than buffs and buffs feather faster than darks (based on the pictures here, I have only have partridge until this next incubator hatch).

Just a disclaimer, it isn't 100% fool proof as is evidenced by folks that figure out that the one they thought was a cockerel lays an egg.
lau.gif

I just got a trio of dark bantam brahmas and two bantam buff hens all are laying. I was wonder what the chicks from the buff hens might look like?

I just got a trio of dark bantam brahmas and two bantam buff hens all are laying. I was wonder what the chicks from the buff hens might look like?

The female chicks out of the buff hens and dark male will be silver based (black and white). Their pattern will likely fall closer to the columbian pattern of the buffs, but being silver based look more like lights, than the penciled pattern of the darks. They will likely show some smutty penciling on their backs.

The males from this cross will be split gold/silver. Likely looking again more like lights with straw colored neck hackles and saddle feathers.

Last edited:
Feathering. You can always use something like wazine or rooster booster. But I have heard pumpkin seeds are a good natural wormer. Some people have here birds on a regular routine. I don't. If I ever have an outbreak I will treat it, but only if thy have worms. There many other things that could be happening to you smaller one. Just keep a close eye

Thank you, I will....I didn't see any from last night, so maybe she just ate something earlier that bothered here a little...

I know they aren't SQ or even a showable color, lol, but thought I'd share some (very poor ;) ) updated pics of my GL Brahmas. They still have a little growing and filling out to do, but I absolutely love them!

Pardon the winter beaten yard, lol.

Beautiful colors...Aren't they amazing?

The feathering is very advanced for their age. Generally, cockerels don't feather out very quickly. For instance, a cockerel would show the same amount of feathers at 10 weeks that yours are showing at 6 weeks. By the time the cockerels start to really feather out, their saddle feathers are longer than a pullets saddle feathers and you can tell that way. I don't know that this works for all breeds, but it definitely works for brahmas. I've also noticed that lights tend to feather faster than buffs and buffs feather faster than darks (based on the pictures here, I have only have partridge until this next incubator hatch).

Just a disclaimer, it isn't 100% fool proof as is evidenced by folks that figure out that the one they thought was a cockerel lays an egg.
lau.gif

hahaha, Thanks! Can't wait to find out for sure!
yuckyuck.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom