Brahma Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The female chicks out of the buff hens and dark male will be silver based (black and white). Their pattern will likely fall closer to the columbian pattern of the buffs, but being silver based look more like lights, than the penciled pattern of the darks. They will likely show some smutty penciling on their backs.

The males from this cross will be split gold/silver. Likely looking again more like lights with straw colored neck hackles and saddle feathers.

Big Medicine, do you have any idea how to get rid of the cushion? I don't think Brahmas are supposed to have them, and many do I think because of the cochin cross to get the different colors. Just wondering if you have any experience working that out of the line. I'm thinking just keep hens without it for breeding and it will go away, but I'm not sure if this trait comes from the male side. I don't notice it as much in cockerels as I do in the pullets of a different feather.

Thanks!

Happy, healthy buff babies! No idea what gender yet.

About a week ago I bought what I thought was light brahmas (bought 2) and the pullet pictures I've saw of them they have feathers on their feet. But mine don't is this usual?

Ok one word for you lf brahma fans h&h rare poultry york haven pa i will post pics from delmarva tomorrow

Last edited:
I have some mutt brahmas. They are crossed light, darks, and buffs mixed somehow. Every1 says they are ugly bla bla bla. I love my brahmas. They didnt start getting foot feathers till about 6 weeks old. They are 18 weeks old today and some of the hens only have feathering on 1 toe. If u can post pics surely these brahma gurus can help. On the bright side, regardless of the breed; chickens are fun and addictive

Big Medicine, do you have any idea how to get rid of the cushion? I don't think Brahmas are supposed to have them, and many do I think because of the cochin cross to get the different colors. Just wondering if you have any experience working that out of the line. I'm thinking just keep hens without it for breeding and it will go away, but I'm not sure if this trait comes from the male side. I don't notice it as much in cockerels as I do in the pullets of a different feather.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom