Brahma Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
I can see how they could damage their legs being so big and heavy, not only did I lower roost but I also have close to 8" of pine shaving on the floor now so when they jump they have a coushioned landing. All of my birds range free during the day, almost 2 years and haven't lost one of my LF, lost a couple Bantams though. I atribute most of this to 4 dogs and 2 roosters.
smile.png
does anyone use Oxine AH in their coops and on their birds? I also use it in their drinking water.

Miss Lydia, what's the dosage you put in the water?

1/8 teas. per gallon. in their water and use 61/2 ounch per gallon to spray out coops and to spray birds every 2 weeks.

I had the 2008 ,i beleive, National Best of Variety Black Trio from him. They were auctioned off in Ventura, California. They had better heads than any other brahmas i had ever seen of any variety. Sadly the fertility never picked up
hmm.png
we tried everything; natural breeding, trimmed feathers and AI. No luck.

Big medicine.....you asked whether my Brahmas feared predators. I don't think so as the non-Brahmas all wander much further afield. The Brahmas all use our fairly large garden but don't venture into any of the fields

They tend to perch as youngsters, but not when they get older. My largest hen will fly onto the work surface when she invites herself into the house (about a metre up), so even the largest CAN fly. Reflecting on this, a hatch of approx. 18 weeks of age all wander way down the approx. 200 feet drive and into two large fields where they used to be taken by momma hen. About half of these perch.

I lost my alpha male to a probable stroke last week and he weighed fifteen and a half pounds, so big, hefty birds. I did do an autopsy on him and he had rather a lot of abdominal fat,though his heart did not have much, so I think I need to cut down their rations. He was the laziest of all (his sheer size was enough to intimidate the others),and already the flock seem to be more active. Maybe he was just a bad influence on them!

IMG_5586.jpg

There is Darky on the right with a few of his friends.........it had just started to rain and they were sheltering under the house eaves.

Hubby has just built a new coop, so maybe they will perch in this one.......it will have perches at two levels, about a foot and two foot and is, in total, around six feet high. So there will be plenty of room for even a big Brahma boy to stretch his neck and crow.

Quote:
That's not good. Did you try talking to Greg about that? Maybe he could help you with some of that since he bred the birds originally? I have known of him to be a true gentetics geneous, so maybe he has some experience with that problem and he might know what to do.

Quote:
Miss Lydia, what's the dosage you put in the water?

1/8 teas. per gallon. in their water and use 61/2 ounch per gallon to spray out coops and to spray birds every 2 weeks.

Thanks! And how often do you do this? I'm just learning about Oxine.

I do have some, but didn't get it in time for the major clean-out of the coop this spring, when I disinfect and powerwash everything. When you spray the birds and the coop, is it just like a mist over everything?

Quote:

I do have some, but didn't get it in time for the major clean-out of the coop this spring, when I disinfect and powerwash everything. When you spray the birds and the coop, is it just like a mist over everything?

I put oxine in their water every other night, ACV on the other night, yep I spray up and over them so it gently falls on them. and I just spray the roost and bedding with it every other day, probably wouldn't need to be done that often but I'm a little on the obsessive side when it comes to my coops. I buy Oxine in the 5 gallon can from AtoZ pet supply. I even put 1/8th tea. in my dogs gallon bowl of water. [my house duck drinks out of their bowl too] great stuff.

Quote:

I put oxine in their water every other night, ACV on the other night, yep I spray up and over them so it gently falls on them. and I just spray the roost and bedding with it every other day, probably wouldn't need to be done that often but I'm a little on the obsessive side when it comes to my coops. I buy Oxine in the 5 gallon can from AtoZ pet supply. I even put 1/8th tea. in my dogs gallon bowl of water. [my house duck drinks out of their bowl too] great stuff.

Thanks! I just have a small bottle that I got just to try out. I do the ACV and Nutri-Drench once a week each.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom