Brahma Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mine have all been 8-9 months, but Big Medicines comments are all very relevant. If the pullets reach maturity in the dark months of the year, they may not start to lay until the days get longer.

Brahmas are long livers, though.

Mine have all been 8-9 months, but Big Medicines comments are all very relevant. If the pullets reach maturity in the dark months of the year, they may not start to lay until the days get longer.

Brahmas are long livers, though.

Thanks. I'm guessing I'll be waiting until next spring then. My Brahma will be 8 months in December. Thankfully, I have an EE and RIR, too.
wink.png

Excellent points Gary. It is leap year. Nikki816 it appears your rooster may have crowed two days too soon. If my math is correct.(usually not)

Tim

I haven't been on this thread in quite some time. I had two Brahmas in my main laying flock, both hatchery hens.

Lost my only Lt. Brahma hen recently to ovarian cancer. She was laying just about a month before her death at the age of almost 5 1/2 years. I still have the Buff Brahma who was the same age and she has now passed the 5 1/2 year point and last week, Caroline laid 4 eggs. Not too shabby for an old gal, eh?

The Lt. Brahma laid her first egg at 19 weeks. The Buff laid her first egg at 30 weeks old.

Nikki816 don't be put off by our general smartassedness there. Just having some fun, which actually is a step in the right direction for Tim, he ussually tends to down shift into grumpy old fart mode.

I see you are from New Holland. Spent about 6 years in that general area myself, almost 30 years ago. In fact my wife is from Washington Court House. Used to hunt ducks off Egypt Pike just a little north of town there.

Anyway I see you are new here, feel free to come back and learn. We'll try to play it straight, for the most part.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom