Brahma Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
4a2abd73-c22d-7225.jpg

My broody lf buffs
4a2abd73-c24f-1d9a.jpg

New coop ;)

The Brahma bantams are excellent broodies if you want to go in that direction.

My bantam brahma is broody for the first time. She has been doing really well. She was moved once and had eggs swapped about three times (1st swap went rotten so swapped for dudds then got more hatching eggs and swapped again). She has sat tight for the whole thing. I actually worry that she isn't getting up enough. She REALLY wants to be a momma. Going to be interesting watching her mother three-ish RIR crosses and three-ish Silkies at the same time. :lol:

I've got a question about my 20 week old Brahmas. From what I learned last year with my mixed flock, was that when a pullet starts getting red in the face, she's close to laying. One of my light Brahma pullets has been very red faced for the last month and if I go by the two darks I had last year, I don't really expect to see eggs from this young group until late September or October. Could Lemon be gearing up early to lay? Or do Light Brahmas just get red early and it's not a sign of egg laying? My other light, Kiwi, is still pale faced.

Been following this thread for a while now....Wondering if I can borrow everyones expertise for a bit?

I have 2 standard Buff Brahmas...or gentle giants as I call them :)

First time owning this breed and am somewhat questioning gender on one. They are both 15 weeks old today.
Sally on left, Snugs on right

Sally face front

Snugs side shots

Now this may sound dumb, but to me, Snugs just LOOKS like a roo. Has a furrowed brow look to the eyes. Tail is always in a downward position. Keeps to her/himself while all the others run about the run and coop...last one out in the morning, first one in at night. Mind you, this is the gentlest chicken I have ever owned!
Sally is completely opposite....upright tail, bright eyes...looks like a girl (My very scientific approach :)....I am fairly certain she is a pullet.

I welcome any and all comments from you. I have learned so much on this thread about this breed. I wish I had better pictures but no one was cooperating this morning!

Look like pullets to me.
Thank you Brahmabreeder :)
I think my expectations were that they should look like twins coming from the same clutch. I hope they are both pullets, but if one is a roo, it wont bother me one bit either. They both have the best temperment.
I also have wondered if the eye difference could be from an eye issue with Snugs. She has a hard time picking up a meal worm or anything else from my hands...usually gets more skin than worm! All the other chickens can grab one so fast I never even feel it leave my hand. Almost like she is farsighted?
Thank you again for you comment!

I have a question that I hope the experienced breeders of bantam buff Brahmas can answer for me. My first hatch of eggs from John Neff's birds were pretty uniform in color, but this new hatch of eggs from Darlene Hobbs lines have some chicks that are quite dark. A couple of them have dark instead of light feathering down their legs and their bodies and heads are darker too. I was wondering if these chicks are going to end up with improper feather coloring. Any insight would be appreciated
big_smile.png

Pictures of the Hobbs line chicks~

When this chick hatched I thought they had sent me the wrong eggs it was so dark!

They should be fine and some a little bit dark. I have LF buffs from Darlene and personally I don't like them. My one bird should of been culled a long time ago because she only weighs some where in the five pound range. I also have noticed they don't have very wide heads. My birds from Ron Yochum have very wide heads and the larger of the two weighs eight and a half pounds. Although I have seen in the poultry press that Darlene wins a decent amount with her bantams. This is my first year breeding brahmas so who knows I may be wrong on the whole color thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom