Brahma Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you can put them in adjoining pens so they can get used to each other for a couple of weeks or so, then open the pens so they can get used to being in the same pen. That is what I did. When they were in the adjoining pens they would face off with the fence in between them. The alpha did chase the subordinates when they were put together but there was enough room for the younger ones to run away.

They are in together now. Amaretto has been in with the other 8 since week 12, and was in the grow out pen adjoining from week 6. 'Bird is 2 1/2 and so far is not giving Amaretto any hard times at all. They roost within 3 feet of each other no problems. The run is 150 X 50 with grass, pine trees, sand, etc. so they each have enough room to stay away from each other. 'Bird can be agressive (at least to my DH). I am going to give it a try and see what happens unless I can find him a home.
fl.gif

Thank you wantbrahmas 2, i appreciate your input also! I just love these stately birds. I am impatient to see how they fill out. I know they are a slow growing breed, one of the reasons they intrigued me to begin with. I love that they are cold hardy, calm, and have feathered legs, but not to tye extent cochins do. They are indeed unique in the chicken world. I wanted to work with them especially due to how uncommon they are, and hope to interest others in keeping this breed . :)

I had a light Brahma roo and a sex link/Brahma hen when I was a kid and even though I could never hold them they were my favorite! So I got some from Ideal. How are their Brahmas? I just got 3-one each buff, light and dark. I already am in love with the dark Brahma she's sooo sweet. I am just anxious and I hope they end up actually looking like Brahmas. I haven't had a ton of luck with all my hatchery birds-wrong sizes-bad health-wrong color. I am just hoping Ideal is better than MM.

Hopefully their better than crackles brahmas. I got 15 buff brahmas about a month ago. Now I only have 4 buffs and 1 gold laced looking Brahma that's definitely not a buff. But all the other ones that died were just super small and didn't want to grow. Even now I have one that all feathered in but it the same size as when it came. Lol. It's hilarious because he's so small, some of his feathers touch the ground because they are about the same length as him lol

Im sure most of the deaths were my fault because I should have separated the smallest ones into another brooder, which they got smashed by the chicks who were growing faster.

Either way I'm sure you'll still enjoy them.

I wish I would have ordered a mix of buff,light,dark Luke you did but the one gold laced that's not a real gold laced (Lol) is kind of cool, I'm pretty sure its a boy so I don't know if I'm going to keep him or not, but he might be something special to breed with down the road.
Ya never know!

Last edited:
sorry to here about your buffs . but it sounds like it could be inbreeding if they are small and dont grow . a wise man once told me ( it coast as much to raise a good bird as it does to raise a bad one )... and its true think of it like this if i had two puppys same breed but differnt strains the first one was small and wanted to sleep and the color on his coat was kinda like the breed but was not very defined . and the other one was big and playful and the color on his coat had all the right markings . witch one would you buy ??? its the same for brahmas you may spend more to get some brahmas from a breeder but the qaulity is what you are paying for ... if you can try to go to a show look at the birds talk to a breeder . if you only want a few try to buy some eggs or some chicks maybe he or she might sell you some culls even they will be better then what you have been getting . i read this kind of story all the time from post and its sad it turns some people away from the breed thinking that thats how they are ,but thats not the case at all .... if you love your hatchery brahmas then you will flip over a show brahma remember they are called the MAJESTIC ONES FOR A VERY GOOD REASON.. this is just one mans thoughts . want brahmas 2

Hopefully their better than crackles brahmas. I got 15 buff brahmas about a month ago. Now I only have 4 buffs and 1 gold laced looking Brahma that's definitely not a buff. But all the other ones that died were just super small and didn't want to grow. Even now I have one that all feathered in but it the same size as when it came. Lol. It's hilarious because he's so small, some of his feathers touch the ground because they are about the same length as him lol
Im sure most of the deaths were my fault because I should have separated the smallest ones into another brooder, which they got smashed by the chicks who were growing faster.
Either way I'm sure you'll still enjoy them.
I wish I would have ordered a mix of buff,light,dark Luke you did but the one gold laced that's not a real gold laced (Lol) is kind of cool, I'm pretty sure its a boy so I don't know if I'm going to keep him or not, but he might be something special to breed with down the road.
Ya never know!

I'm so sorry to hear about your chicks! That's awful!

I guess it's true what they say, Brahmas don't grow fast...

I have two lights from Cackle and they are beautiful birds, in my opinion! Of course probably not SQ, but we think they are gorgeous and we love them!

I hope your buffs that did survive turn out to have great personalities! One of mine has such a calm demeanor, you can just lay her down on your lap, and she'll stay there! My other one isn't as fiendly, but she lets you handle her with no problem. Plus, she lays 3-4 small eggs a week!
jumpy.gif
lau.gif

Last edited:
87CA4B1C-F156-453F-8DE3-2C60B1D06319-1521-000001FF70C88570.jpg

Light cockerel from this year. Great width in the tail but unfortunately an aweful comb, it's almost not even a pea comb.

87CA4B1C-F156-453F-8DE3-2C60B1D06319-1521-000001FF70C88570.jpg

Light cockerel from this year. Great width in the tail but unfortunately an aweful comb, it's almost not even a pea comb.
I have run into the same thing Zack. Others have told me that beefy floppy comb on the males comes from the female? I will pay closer attention th the combs on my breeding females this spring. Not very noticeable on the females, you have to look close. The comb is a very small deduction,(my males are still winning)...it just drives me crazy though! Its tough though......my birds with the stupid wide heads seem to have the bad combs. The ones with excellent combs-head's are not as wide. I may go to a female line with the "bad" combs. Some of my females have ridiculous heads! Steve Jones and others have tried to talk me back from the ledge by telling me its the "total package" that matters. I guess thats true. However, I think its my OCD that makes me succesful at breeding/exhibiting poultry. You are good at genetics, what are your thoughts on the genetics/inheritance of the comb? Nice male though!

Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom