Brazilnut died, unknown cause

the_peanut_coop

🦌Optimist🦌
Mar 2, 2021
The Wild Wild Wild Wild Wild West
My Coop
My Coop
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
Easter egger, one and a half years of age
2) What is the behavior, exactly.
death
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
Since she died
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
No
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
there are many missing patches of feathers, but that may be due to severe molting, no blood at all but her head moves around on her neck, it may be broken

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
Yes, perfectly normally. They have constant food and water
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
perfectly normal
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
I didn't think anything was wrong with her

Sometimes chickens will have symptoms of ill health before they die. Molting is a time of extreme stress. That is the time of year that I see illness, along with the cold winter weather. What is your location and temperatures now? Reproductive disorders and crop problems are common in chickens, and cancer is also a common cause of death. Without having your state vet do a necropsy on her body, we could only guess at what might have been wrong. Did she seem to be adjusting her crop before she died? Sorry for your loss. Here is a list of most state vets that perform necropsies:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html

Sometimes chickens will have symptoms of ill health before they die. Molting is a time of extreme stress. That is the time of year that I see illness, along with the cold winter weather. What is your location and temperatures now? Reproductive disorders and crop problems are common in chickens, and cancer is also a common cause of death. Without having your state vet do a necropsy on her body, we could only guess at what might have been wrong. Did she seem to be adjusting her crop before she died? Sorry for your loss. Here is a list of most state vets that perform necropsies:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html
Thank you. The temperatures get low here, particularly at nights, at one point it was below zeros

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
Easter egger, one and a half years of age
2) What is the behavior, exactly.
death
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
Since she died
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
No
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
there are many missing patches of feathers, but that may be due to severe molting, no blood at all but her head moves around on her neck, it may be broken

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
Yes, perfectly normally. They have constant food and water
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
perfectly normal
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
I didn't think anything was wrong with her
I’m so sorry for your loss! :hugs It’s so painful to lose our little friends under any circumstances but is very frustrating to lose a young apparently healthy bird.

I’m so sorry for your loss! :hugs It’s so painful to lose our little friends under any circumstances but is very frustrating to lose a young apparently healthy bird.
Thank you. She was my baby. I miss her, she wasn't my first death but this one was the hardest and I don't know why.

In some states necropsies by the state vet are affordable. I do necropsies on my own chickens that die. If you do one, take pictures of the organs to post here.
Thank you. I don't think I will do one, but I am seriously considering the possibility that she froze overnight. She was lowest in the pecking order.

Back
Top Bottom