Breda Fowl thread

Pics
How nice that he has a good home. Has the replacement pullet arrived yet?
The breeder has no pullets to spare in our color choice so I was reimbursed for the cost of the mis-shipped Breda boy (but not the shipping cost or vet bills incurred). I don't believe I wish to work them in future at this point. The Breda is a fabulous personality - curious, outgoing, friendly, calm, and not the least bit afraid to come up to strangers to see what treats he can extract from the human hand. Beautiful bird too - and his walk is so cute with those huge flipper feathered feet! I know pullets and cockerels in most chicken breeds seem sweet as youngsters and then turn aggressive as adults but most Breda owners have said their birds continue being nice temperaments into their adulthood so I definitely want to try and get another pullet in Blue.

(but not the shipping cost or vet bills incurred). I don't believe I wish to work them in future at this point.

I don't blame you in the least. THEY screwed up and should have AT LEAST covered the cost of shipping the wrong "item". The vet bills? well, I don't know since a lot of people do their own "doctoring" for worms and such. I've been lucky to not have issues but then I am a "only got chicks once" owner so I have no experience.

Do you have any leads on blue Breda pullets? It is tough being in love with an extremely rare breed and a specific color at that.

[/IMG]

My first little mottled update....getting so handsome-- but now not sure if hen or roo? Looking like a hen right now.....
droolin.gif

The little ones below are younger siblings on grass for first time.

I don't blame you in the least. THEY screwed up and should have AT LEAST covered the cost of shipping the wrong "item". The vet bills? well, I don't know since a lot of people do their own "doctoring" for worms and such. I've been lucky to not have issues but then I am a "only got chicks once" owner so I have no experience.

Do you have any leads on blue Breda pullets? It is tough being in love with an extremely rare breed and a specific color at that.

HI, thx for your interest. My practice is always to take fecal samples to the vet for testing whenever I get new birds. In my experience about 1/3 of every juvenile shipment I've received from private breeders had evidence of worms - some had cocci. The vet bills on the Breda were for a bird that arrived ill and vet had to put down the other companion bird because of illness that incubated before we received shipment - but that's the risk customers take. Most hatcheries/breeders will reimburse birds that expire in the first 24-48 hours but there's a huge risk about conditions or illnesses that are contracted prior and don't manifest until 48 hours or more after receiving shipment. We wound up with no birds in the end after placing our initial order over 7 months ago. At least the Breda boy has a good forever home with friends after all the vet bills and medicines we spent.

There are 3 more breeders I contacted growing out juveniles but too young to sex yet. Out of 3 breeders hopefully there will be a Blue girl somewhere for us. Cuckoos would be a good color for free ranging but my DH liked the Blue after seeing all the varieties. I don't see Bredas thriving too well in snowy conditions but for our SoCal climate where dampness is not an issue Breda should do very well. Our feather-footed Silkies do well in our climate. I was waffling between Breda, Pavlovskaja, or SFH as a gentle non-combative breed for the backyard and after having exprienced the Breda boy we're sold on the friendly, outgoing, curious, unafraid, calm nature of the breed. They do tend to spook jumping straight up from shadows or noises but very instantly regain their composure.

I would prefer not having feather-footed breeds. But curiously I found the breeds most non-combative were either feather-footed, crested, bearded, muffed, tufted, vulture-hocked, 5-toed, pea/rose/walnut combed, or not-combed. In our experience we found the dual-purpose, egg-layers, or straight-combed breeds much more assertive to downright aggressive for our small backyard and we prefer a peaceful flock over having colorful, jumbo-sized eggs.

My first little mottled update....getting so handsome-- but now not sure if hen or roo? Looking like a hen right now.....
droolin.gif

The little ones below are younger siblings on grass for first time.

At what age do the cockerels start sporting their wattles The first pic doesn't show any wattles.

Back
Top Bottom