Breda Fowl thread

Hope everyone has a good New Year! Onward and forwards! Getting ready to watch the Rose Parade. It's only 10 miles away but attended the parade ONCE and never again, thank you! Much better watching all cozy and warm at home LOL! Wonder if there'll be any chickens on any of the floats this year?!
Hope you have a great New Year - how are you feeling now?

@boskelli1571 Hi, I'm missing not having the tooth and it's obvious I miss having it for chewing. 10 days of antibiotics 3x daily at 300 mg Clindamycin combated infection but it doesn't make up for the hole left behind LOL!

Weather's been cold (for us) but still haven't had a freezing night yet, but close! Dana is still in-house recuperating and growing in her new feathers so we shut-ins keep each other company! Her dry pox has halted but I have to wait for the crusts to come off before I can release her outside with the others. Dominiques have such ridged rose combs I have to work the medicine into all those curvy bumpy ridges of her comb. Makes me appreciate the Breda that have NO combs! It's sure nice having an arsenal of chicken medications on hand to save $$$ going to the vet office!

My 7 month old breda rooster i hatched last year

Attachments

• 20190108_105810.jpg
    20190108_105810.jpg
    979 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20190108_125646_021.jpg
    IMG_20190108_125646_021.jpg
    286 KB · Views: 7
. . .
Speaking of La Fleche, I've come to love that breed as well. They are to say the least a terrible layer!!! but they have similar personalities to Breda and you can definitely see their influence.

Not my La Fleche. They are great layers of large white eggs & they lay well for years. My average La Fleche pullet lays about 200 eggs her first year which is good for a dual purpose fowl. I raise mine primarily as a meat bird but have maintained good egg production by using the Hogan method for selecting my females.

I've spoken to you on a facebook La Fleche page before, but unfortunately you have mentioned you won't ship your birds. It's a shame because I would love to get some nice La Fleche lines. I don't have enough La Fleche to to be choosy at this point.

breda_eggs.jpg

OK, here is a new one for me. The photo is of Breda eggs except the one to the left with an "A" which is an Andalusian. The one brown one is from a hen that was hatched from the same parents as the eggs from the top and right. Bottom egg is from a pen of all black Breda for comparison. All of my Breda lay white eggs. I've only ever had one hen lay an off white or cream colored egg, but she was never used for breeding. So where is the brown coming from? All I can think is that way back in the gene pool there has to be something for it to show up five generations later.

The brown eggs are coming from the cuckoo Breda line, if you got yours from the same source as Sylvester. Whatever was used in the cross to get the cuckoo eggs was not a Breda and therefore they are laying brown eggs sometimes.
It's a shame actually because cuckoo was an original pattern in Breda fowl, but when Greenfire imported them they didn't import any cuckoo.

I was figuring it might have came from the Greenfire line since I had one that laid cream colored eggs. Figured it was hidden in there somewhere. Didn't think if was from the cuckoo line since all the eggs I have gotten were white from them. But that is genetics for ya, always a surprise ever so often.

Some of last years hatch from the BBS lines are showing white faces instead of red. There is always something to cull for. Just have to hatch more eggs and build more pens.

Interesting. I did not know there was a breed that was named after where I live (Breda). After some research they originated indeed at Breda (there is also a Breda in France, and a Breda in Spain, and 'Guelderlander' sounds like 'Gelderland' a part in the Netherlands where Breda is not located. So I had my doubts if they reálly originated from Breda, the Netherlands). Apparently they were popular amongst rich people in Breda back in the days as a city-breed to look at and give as a gift, and these lucky chickens were so 'royal' that it was common that the owner would order their own portret being painted of them heehee. A tad of spoiled chicken they were heehee. Not-rich people often had Chaamse kriel- chickens and some smart person sold it's meat as 'Breda chicken' since real Breda chickens were a sign of luxery, and fake caviar, fake crabmeat, fake champaign, etc; we allways want the lifestyle of the rich and famous. A pretty savvy marketingtrick. And I like the story because it's pretty cool how we treated chickens back then, they had value and we treated them like that, that's a bit gone nowadays. 3 years ago the city Breda has subsidized a project to breed this race so it will not go extinct. That project is still running. They are looking for donations I saw; so I donated a bit :) Thanks to BYC. Which tought me about the exictence of the race, and thus this project that is going on 10 minutes on the bike from here, haha! Internet has it's benefits! But I feel a bit ashamed that I need a mainly U.S.A. forum to tell me what is going on in my own city haha! It's time to put the tablets/computers etc. away now and then and start to look more around me I guess..

Back
Top Bottom