Breed, Age, and Gender check!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Jeffross1968, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Jeffross1968

Jeffross1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    I bought these (hopefully) girls back on July 1st at what was supposed to be 12 weeks old (I have my doubts). Anyway, I'd like to see what age you think they are, along with gender (should be all girls) and breeds. I'll list the breed we think they are above each set of pics. I've also posted some pics with our older girls in them for size reference. In the one, you can see 3 of them next to one of our brown leghorns, who is laying. They are the same size or bigger depending on the bird...

First up is Black Betty, our Black Sex Link...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next we have Big Bertha, our Black Jersey Giant. She has yellow feet...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is Beatrice. I was told we got one RIR and one Golden Comet. Is she either of those?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And finally...Opal. She should be the other of the RIR/Golden Comet pair....

[​IMG]
    (far right...)
    [​IMG]

So that's it...Age, gender, and breed please! Thanks!

2. Zaxby's2

Zaxby's2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    a place
    You've got all girls, you're right about the breeds(I think the darker red is a hatchery RIR, and the other is a golden comet), and they look like they're around 16 weeks. [​IMG]

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Zaxby's2 :

You've got all girls, you're right about the breeds(I think the darker red is a hatchery RIR, and the other is a golden comet), and they look like they're around 16 weeks. [​IMG]

x2​

4. AlexisB. (I <3 Silkies)

AlexisB. (I <3 Silkies) New Egg

Jun 9, 2011
    Quote:looks like a couple boys.....

5. Jeffross1968

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    AlexisB. (I <3 Silkies) :

looks like a couple boys.....

Really? Which ones and why?​

6. mstrrlm

mstrrlm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2011
    Picayune, MS
    Quote:x2

x3

7. Kaelinstorm

Kaelinstorm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    Lampasas
    I agree with the ones you are giving closeups of all looking like girls... The Red and Gold one and the white/black one next to it, in the 6th pic down, I wouldnt mind seeing closer up.

8. Hucklekree

Hucklekree Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2011
    Enumclaw
    Opal looks just like my New Hampshire and also looks roo-ish (not certain). The other two are hens and you have the breed correct. [​IMG]

9. Jeffross1968

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Quote:The rest we are all sure about. The red and gold one in the back ground is definitely a roo.

[​IMG]

The black and white one next to him is a light brahma that hasn't begun laying, but is hen for sure.

[​IMG]

10. dretd

dretd Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Ft Collins, CO
    The ones you asked about look to be all girlie to me, too. I think they were a tad younger than you were told if they were supposed to be 12 weeks July 1 because that would make them 19 or 20 weeks and they don't look quite that old.

I wanted to add that I love the diversity of your flock, what a pretty assortment you have! Do you have any favorite breeds that are emerging out of the group yet?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by