Breed crossing question for all you smart people!!!🐓

Beverett25

In the Brooder
Apr 14, 2022
So I have black austrolorp hens and a barred rock hen, my rooster is a lavender Orpington and I was wondering if anyone would know what the baby’s would look like, for both the austrolorp and barred rock. Thank you to whoever can answer this!!!❤️

Lavender Orpington x Black Australorp gives you black offspring.
Lavender Orpington x Barred Rock gives you sex links: single barred male offspring and black female offspring. Unfortunately you won’t be able to tell the females from their half Australorp half siblings unless you keep this pairing separate somehow.

Lavender Orpington x Black Australorp gives you black offspring.
Lavender Orpington x Barred Rock gives you sex links: single barred male offspring and black female offspring. Unfortunately you won’t be able to tell the females from their half Australorp half siblings unless you keep this pairing separate somehow.
Thank you! I have been wondering for a while because if you look it up on line you can never get a answer, I have been deciding whether or not I want to incubate some of the eggs, since they all lay the same color it will be a surprise lol

Yeah the lavender came from black and white so some of the offspring will be white so you won't be able to see the head spot, but the black off spring will be easier to tell, if you are interested in knowing the sex early. Bet they will be some nice looking chicks though...
If we end up hatching them I will try to remember and post a picture of them!

Yeah the lavender came from black and white so some of the offspring will be white
There should not be any white chicks from those crosses.
The Black Australorp is black.
The Barred Rock is black with white barring.
The Lavender Orpington is black with the lavender gene diluting it to gray.

None of them is expected to have any genes that would make a chicken white all over.

The only gene for white that could be hiding on chickens of those colors and then be visible in the chicks would be recessive white. But you would only get white chicks if a hen and the rooster both had that gene (unlikely for any of them to have that gene, and even more unlikely for 2 of them to have it.)

Yeah the lavender came from black and white so some of the offspring will be white so you won't be able to see the head spot, but the black off spring will be easier to tell, if you are interested in knowing the sex early. Bet they will be some nice looking chicks though...
The chicks will either be black or black with barring. None will be white or lavender.

If we end up hatching them I will try to remember and post a picture of them!
One hatched today here is what it looks like!!! (Mother could be barred rock or black austrolorp and the dad is a lavender Orpington)

Attachments

• 15776B36-D102-4D11-A9FC-CFCEBBFEFF3C.jpeg
    15776B36-D102-4D11-A9FC-CFCEBBFEFF3C.jpeg
    397.5 KB · Views: 4
  • F66A8C55-21C8-48AB-B842-327956479B23.jpeg
    F66A8C55-21C8-48AB-B842-327956479B23.jpeg
    908 KB · Views: 4
  • 96E7C9BB-CE92-421A-BF75-13399FB7F35E.jpeg
    96E7C9BB-CE92-421A-BF75-13399FB7F35E.jpeg
    636.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 4FFE3DF3-7194-4A4D-A6E4-B142DAE0C629.jpeg
    4FFE3DF3-7194-4A4D-A6E4-B142DAE0C629.jpeg
    775.4 KB · Views: 4
I posted pictures of the first baby to hatch!

Back
Top Bottom