Breed masters, I NEED HELP!!!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ChickenPeep, Jul 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    i have a mixed breed chicken and i have no idea what mix he is.he has extra toes if that would help. i need some people who are really good at figuring out what mix he is. he looks like a black sex link pulet, but im SURE he is a roo. we could go into details, but lets just keep it simple! i got him from tractor supply in the black sex link bin. ive had TONS of topics about him allready but nobody knows.the county fair is coming up soon so i really need to know what mix!!! i really need some experts here! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME!!!if you needs any more pictures please just ask!!![​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    notice the very red feathers on his neck.

[​IMG]
    those are the extra toes

[​IMG]
    this is my black sex link pulleet. she is the same age as the mystery chicken above. look at the differences between them!!!

please help me!!

Last edited: Jul 6, 2011
  2. ChickenPeep

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Hello?????????????? People i need help! i kinda think he looks like a wellsummer but im not sure!

3. Pathfinders

Pathfinders Overrun With Chickens

Jan 25, 2008
    Northern KY
    Depending on who your judge is, you likely should not show him at the fair. If he came out of the black sex link bin at the feed store, likely he's just a male that slipped by them.

Sorry, but I wouldn't try to show him.

4. bigb-71

bigb-71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    Ceder ridge CA
    Frist off i'm not convincent its a roo i had two welsummers that i thought for sure one was a roo because of the combs but they both turned out to be hens one just has a huge comb and the other ones comb stayed real small . so are you positive it a roo ? and the toe's could just be a freakie gean that slip through . so it could just be a black star hen that got some freakie geans mix up in her. and if its just a county fair just show it under all other large fowl if they offer that class . and good luck.

5. jennifersmith326

jennifersmith326 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2011
    Griffin, GA
    Looks like a sex link but with the extra toes it means it probably has some Faverolles in there somewhere.

6. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    That looks like some roosters that I had, got them at an auction. I rhink that they were part Copper Marans. Maybe that is what yours is, part Copper Marans.

7. ChickenPeep

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    im sure he is a roo. he does mating dances and he has crowed today.
    Quote:

8. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:He is a Roo alright.. but the extra toe can be a genetic deformity, I had this happen in a Inbreed line of Brahmas...

9. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    You got this rooster from TSC as a chick, right?
    If so I would say that the bird is from Mt. Healthy Hatchery, Now Mt. Healthy was selling some Australorp crosses to TSC and I would be willing to be that that is one of the Australorp crosses that TSC was selling.

Now I also say that the the other breed in this cross was most likely a Dorking BUT the Dorking was not pure.
    If the Dorking was pure the leg color of its Male offspring would be White and not Greenish Yellow.

Chris

Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
  10. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by