Breed Recommendations for a newbie

My vote would be for Brahmas. They are very friendly and beautiful chickens with feathers on there legs. They lay nice brown eggs and are considered a heritage breed.

I second this. I have about 15 different breeds in my flock and brahmas are by FAR and away my sweetest, behind the silkies which aren't recommended for egg supply..
I've seen EE mentioned a lot. I guess I just got unlucky with EEs. They've been skittish, unfriendly, sometimes downright aggressive.. Barred Rock...just pretty passive. Wyandottes...mine are curious and not skittish, but are kind of like puppies..try to be friendly but peck so hard out of curiosity it's drawn blood..lol. I also recommend Naked Necks for personality, but the looks aren't for everyone..hehe.

I hear great things about Brahmas and Orpingtons...I had an RIR and while she was okay with being held, she had kind of a nasty disposition...I also REALLY like Americaunas....they lay small green eggs and are very friendly and I find mine is the best kempt chicken...as in she is always shiny and glossy with a clean bum and feet, and her little cheek muffs are the cutest! I also really like Barred Rocks...

The top two breeds I suggest are silkies and Cochins bantams and LF. If you like a beautiful laying bird I recommend the LF Cochins. Cochins and silkies are known for going broody if you get a rooster. Silkies are beautiful and friendly, so are Cochins. I have both silkies and two cochin bantams.

Here is a picture of one of my silkies. Also, LF Cochins have it all. Beauty, egg laying (large brown eggs), great mothers, and friendly as can be.

First....any breed is always going to be better if you interact with them as chicks....meaning spend quality time with them....touch, talk, sing, feed, etc. etc. I will add as someone said earlier to teach a child the proper handling of a chick (but being your baby is only 7 months old...not a concern right now). Also, the rooster in most breeds is going to be the one that may show aggressiveness...because he sees himself as the protector of the hens. Some hens can be aggressive too....but we cull any aggressiveness here on my farm. Don't want to reproduce aggressiveness.

I would also recommend maybe getting an assortment of breeds....you can definitely tell them apart that way. I raise Orpingtons and they come in a large amount of colors....like a rainbow. All my Orpingtons are friendly. I have run across a couple of snooty roosters in my time...but for the most part they are very docile and gentle. They are very large though and they can eat a LOT! They are a very beautiful bird though and are extremely soft feathered.

I had a friend give me a Buff Laced Brahma for Xmas and then I bought a rooster and hen to keep her company. I must be honest and say....I HAVE NEVER SEEN SUCH SWEET BIRDS in my life. They never object to me picking them up and don't go crazy when you do (as in flapping their wings and clawing to get away and screaming like they are dieing....LOL). These birds have totally surprised me. They are large birds as well and come in almost as many colors as the Orpingtons....but I would even have to say they are sweeter than the Orpingtons. They lay a brown egg as well.

Both the Orpington and the Brahma start laying at around 8 months...but lay through the winter and lay for a long time and are dual purpose birds(eggs and meat).

NOTE WORDS OF WISDOM:
old.gif

Please teach you little girl NOT to put her face in the chickens face. Chickens see moving eyeballs as bugs! I learned this the HARD WAY! There is nothing that hurts any worse than that! They can put an eye out if not careful. And small children are just the right height for the chicken to peck! Just thought I'd throw that out there for future reference....LOL It's just so painful.....I don't want anybody else to go through what I went through!

There are a lot of breeds that are good egg producers and can be gentle and loving if you spend the time with them as babies and make them that way! It's like anything else....the more time you spend with an animal.....the more attached it is to you.

WISH YOU ALL THE LUCK IN PICKING YOUR FLOCK OF CHICKENS! THEY ARE SO MUCH FUN AND ADDICTIVE.. YOU'LL START OUT WITH 2 AND END UP WITH 12....LOL!
D.gif

The top two breeds I suggest are silkies and Cochins bantams and LF. If you like a beautiful laying bird I recommend the LF Cochins. Cochins and silkies are known for going broody if you get a rooster. Silkies are beautiful and friendly, so are Cochins. I have both silkies and two cochin bantams.

Here is a picture of one of my silkies. Also, LF Cochins have it all. Beauty, egg laying (large brown eggs), great mothers, and friendly as can be.
Chickens will go broody with or without a rooster.

i really like my Wyandottes. they are slightly skittish but completely non aggressive. they look nice, and come in many colors. they lay brown eggs, and are fairly good winter layers. wyandottes are also a cold hardy breed.

orpingtons would also be a good choice.

Jobele made a very good point. Most breeds will be friendly, gentle, and fun if you interact with them a lot from day one. Ours get excited when they see my wife open the back door because they know she is bringing treats. They can't wait for her to sit down so they can jump in her lap.
lau.gif
They are like any other pet in that the more time you spend with them the better. You will love whatever you wind up with, but don't think that will be the end of it. Before long you'll be thinking "Man, I wish I had a trio of those. I could build a pen and put them right over there". Before you know it you'll have as many different breeds as the rest of us do.
smile.png

I would highly recommend buff orpingtons. I have two lovely blonde hens and they get along with any newcomer I add to the flock, very passive. I just added a 6 week old wyandotte from a hatchery (who are supossed to be friendly) and she keeps picking fights, even with the much larger golden comet I have, which is not ideal due to her size. But maybe my little wyandotte is just adapting, she only has been without a separate pen 2x but fingers are crossed.
fl.gif
I am waiting for her to get bigger before she meets big red, lol, for obvious reasons. But the orpingtons have always been such sweeties, they really are such a docile and friendly birds. Good luck!!!!!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom