Breed recommendations?

Oscarsgravett

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 18, 2014
East Sussex , England
I need some breed recommendations as I have wanted to buy a third flock as I have the facilities for more. I want the breed to be content with confinement, not flighty, good mothers, pure breed and comfortable being handled. Any recommendations? :)

How important are things like egg laying capability and how well they handle weather extremes to you?
I have had at least 20 different breeds over the years and always go back to my favorites....the LF brahmas I have always had and a new favorite (and cousin breed to the brahma) cochins.

ETA: It's my own personal opinion that no chicken should have to live confined their entire life. I free ranged for four years before I had to confine mine due to predators. We make time every day to go out in the evenings and supervise some free range time. It's our favorite time of day, watching chicken TV.

Last edited:
How important are things like egg laying capability and how well they handle weather extremes to you? 
I have had at least 20 different breeds over the years and always go back to my favorites....the LF brahmas I have always had and a new favorite (and cousin breed to the brahma) cochins. 

ETA:  It's my own personal opinion that no chicken should have to live confined their entire life.  I free ranged for four years before I had to confine mine due to predators.  We make time every day to go out in the evenings and supervise some free range time.  It's our favorite time of day, watching chicken TV. 

Hello,
Laying capability isn't an issue for me as I have some hybrids which give me all the eggs I can ask for. Hardiness isn't an issue for me aswell as I put my chickens into our stables as it tends to flood continuously through the winter but is very dry in the summer. I do free range my chickens all the time but have had to stop for about a month now without supervision as two of mine were taken and we repeatedly see the fox late summer but I recently purchased a huge run with roof so that should help with that problem :)

You mention this is a third flock - what breeds do you currently have?

Good question!
I can't help but recommend my all-time favorite - the large fowl brahma. Most of mine are now 6 and a half years old. The hens still lay, albeit for a shorter period of time each year, 3 to 4 eggs from each hen a week (I have never used artificial lighting to force laying). The brahmas handle our hotter than hades/humid summers just fine (better than the cochins), our winters are a breeze for them. Allowed to free range at least some of the day they eat no more than any other of the breeds I have/had. Big ol' cuddlebugs.

Good question!
I can't help but recommend my all-time favorite - the large fowl brahma.  Most of mine are now 6 and a half years old.  The hens still lay, albeit for a shorter period of time each year, 3 to 4 eggs from each hen a week (I have never used artificial lighting to force laying).  The brahmas handle our hotter than hades/humid summers just fine (better than the cochins), our winters are a breeze for them.    Allowed to free range at least some of the day they eat no more than any other of the breeds I have/had.  Big ol' cuddlebugs.

Thank you for the suggestion I was wondering about Brahma's :)

Back
Top Bottom