Breed & sex?

Karien

In the Brooder
5 Years
Dec 14, 2014
hi, I have this chicken, it’s about 4 months old and I’m not sure of its sex. Since I don’t know the breed I have nothing to compare it to. All I know is that it came from an egg imported from Australia.

To me initially it seems like a rooster. Comb came in early and red. Neck and hackle feathers quite male. But the behaviour is not cocky at all. Is very shy and never challenges other birds. It’s got small skinny feet. And the tail is very round, all same length feathers. I’m hoping for a hen but I Guess it’s wishful thinking?

In any case I’d love to hear if anyone knows the breed at least.
7C00CF6B-F4D4-4595-8E7B-42E893D30D9F.jpeg

I am terrible at guessing breed, I just have no talent for that lol unless I have had one in the past and this doesn't look like any that I have had before. But, on the gender...my amateur guess is roo. sorry

hi, I have this chicken, it’s about 4 months old and I’m not sure of its sex. Since I don’t know the breed I have nothing to compare it to. All I know is that it came from an egg imported from Australia.

To me initially it seems like a rooster. Comb came in early and red. Neck and hackle feathers quite male. But the behaviour is not cocky at all. Is very shy and never challenges other birds. It’s got small skinny feet. And the tail is very round, all same length feathers. I’m hoping for a hen but I Guess it’s wishful thinking?

In any case I’d love to hear if anyone knows the breed at least. View attachment 1350485
Definitely a cockerel and very beautiful. Breed is much more difficult-- he looks like a silver spangled Hamburg crossed with some kind of silver duckwing breed. Or he's just some breed that I'm not aware of.

I Guess I don’t even know if he’s a pure breed...
the feathers by the tail are an iridescent green-black. It’s indeed very gorgeous. The good thing is that if it keeps this sweet disposition we can keep it, all my other roosters so far were vile creatures that attacked me from the back

I Guess I don’t even know if he’s a pure breed...
the feathers by the tail are an iridescent green-black. It’s indeed very gorgeous. The good thing is that if it keeps this sweet disposition we can keep it, all my other roosters so far were vile creatures that attacked me from the back
If every rooster you've had previously became unmanageable, it may be wise to consider changing your approach to managing roosters for the sake of this one

I think it’s also the breed, I’ve heard that commercial layer roosters are often more aggressive, which was what I had first. The last one was really bad against the hens too, he pecked them and many had bald spots. He did sort of accept me as in charge but would Attack my kids. I have another young cockerel now and doubt I can keep them both? There’s only 6 hens.

I researched rooster management quite a lot and don’t know what I could have done differently. I’ve been told other breeds are easier so I’m hopeful about this one. His Father is quite laid back apparently.

I just found out more about this one, the father was a Rhode Island Red and the Mother is black and white spotted He is very sweet so far I’m going to try to keep him

Back
Top Bottom