Breeder or hatchery?? Which way is better?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ctcasper, Apr 17, 2008.

1. ctcasper

ctcasper Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    Minnesota
    I have been reading about everybody hatching eggs they get from other people. Is this better than getting hatchery chicks?? Someday I would like to breed buff orps and after reading missprissy's posts and seeing the pics, maybe blue orps... I am wondering if I would be better off starting with buying eggs from someone or with hatchery chicks???

2. Frosty

Frosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    If you go with a reputable breeder, you can get better quality chicks but if you aren't planning on showing them hatchery chicks are fine, too. In all honesty, if you are just starting out I would recommend hatchery chicks (or chicks from a breeder) while you learn and before you invest in an incubator. Just my opinion...

3. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2008
  4. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    To get the best example of the breed, your best bet is to buy them from a reputable breeder. Hatchery chicks sometimes dont get the best quality of the breed and they mostly use them for egg laying, and fun projects for kids.

Expect to pay more from a breeder than a hatchery.

5. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    No doubt in my mind here. Go to a good breeder. They select carefully for the best characteristics of the breed. Thus less issues with sick or less than thrifty chicks and tend to be truer examples of the breed. Yes you pay more but if you plan on breeding that initial investment pays off in big ways in the end.

6. K&H Chicken Farm

K&H Chicken Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2008
    Redding CA
    I was given some hatchery chicks a week ago. They are RIR and I put them in with my Wyndotte and Lorp chicks of the same age. This week my chicks I breed myself are almost twice the size of the hatchery chicks. I also lost 2 of them and none of mine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by