Breeder sent old/infertile eggs, what should I say?

ShowTimeSilkies

In the Brooder
Jul 24, 2017
I ordered two dozen eggs from a local breeder here in Arizona and its turned out to be kind of a disaster. Firstly, I'm 15 and have been saving my money to be able to afford this breeders eggs, they are $50 a dozen and I bought two dozen. I may be young but I've been raising chickens for years and pay for all my chickens, coops, feed, etc. myself. The breeder sent me 1 dozen eggs, one of which was cracked, and no extras. I know silkies aren't the most prolific layers so I didn't really mind not having extras. But she sent half of what I ordered and when I messaged her and told her she said she forgot and will send the other dozen plus extras the following week. Which stunk because I ordered them so they would come in during our cool week as the following week was going to be in the 105's.
The following week came and she sent the additional eggs, no extras, and one looked caved in like it had been dropped. I messaged her about this and I have not got a response. All of the eggs she sent have aircells that are the size of eggs that had been incubating for 10+ days. Today is day 12 on my first dozen eggs and six have babies developing, I took out all the clears and let them cool down so the yolks would firm up a bit. When i opened them to check for fertility they were all infertile. And sadly with the other dozen I have it looks like only 1, maybe 2, are developing. I don't know if/what I should say to her. It's a bit disheartening seeing as I saved all my money and even sold my violin to be able to buy the eggs and all the things I would need for the chicks.

Depending on how many of the second batch of eggs are infertile I may ask for my money back. Also the fact that she sent eggs so old stinks, you'd think that someone who's been doing this for a while wouldn't send out bad eggs but you never know I guess. I messaged her on Wednesday about the second batch of eggs and messaged her again today about everything else and I have not gotten a single reply

I don't know if/what I should say to her.
Keep it factual.

"On [Date] I ordered from you 2 dozen eggs. You supplied 1 dozen, [no] of which were damaged, [no] of which were infertile/failed to develop.
On [date] after I asked for the balance of my order, you supplied [no], [no] of which were infertile/failed to develop. On [date] you indicated that you'd supply replacements for the infertile eggs and you did not.

Please send me $X by way of refund for the fertile eggs not supplied. "

EDIT: missed the bit about paypal - you could open a dispute, not sure how it works when it's a quality issue.

It's perfectly reasonable not to pay for something you didn't get and to ask for a refund. You might be unlikely to get it, but do have your say. Then chalk it up to experience and try to find a supplier you can rely on.

Back
Top Bottom