Breeding Aseels

Pics
Breed many and select.....as with the dual-purpose breeds.
We will be selecting pullets based on best growth and higher social status. If two judged to be equal, the closest to black and type will also be considered. We breed back to pure Aseel male for two generations before we acquire bet female we can find. She will be bred to what we call the best male.

We have long way to go just rear this seasons chicks. I am bracing for battle royal to start any day.

We will be selecting pullets based on best growth and higher social status. If two judged to be equal, the closest to black and type will also be considered. We breed back to pure Aseel male for two generations before we acquire bet female we can find. She will be bred to what we call the best male.

We have long way to go just rear this seasons chicks. I am bracing for battle royal to start any day.
I love your choices!!! Dark colors are the best!!

The hen is best for imparting characteristics, too!

Brood dropped from 7 to 6 courtesy of Red Fox. Chicks not caught likely responded to hen giving warning call. Hen was trying to fight fox through fence. We and dogs interrupted fox, otherwise losses would have been greater. We thought all chicks lost even though hiding in plain sight for several minutes. They only came out of hiding after hen calmed down and started clucking, then they came back fast. American Games do same.

What is different how a broody hen with chicks forages. Aseel hen with brood moves around a lot less and invests a lot more in scratching up eats. Chicks also stay tighter. Hen seems less alert about her surroundings. American Games scratch about, but intersperse it with a lot more moving over ground where she and chicks go after eats more in plain view. Chicks more dispersed as they forage. Group much more aware of surroundings.

Aseel chicks seem to sprint faster in straight line. They not developing flight capacity as fast as American Games. Both seem to be putting on mass at comparable rates. Overall, Aseel chicks still calmer.

Son is taming Aseel chicks in anticipation of training. Two with unique markings being trained to recognize names. Obvious headway made in 10 minutes. Males may be averaging with more white than females on face.

DSC_0447.jpeg

DSC_0401.jpeg

DSC_0358.jpeg

Its clear now I have a stag and a pullet. I so dig their terror bird appearance. I also like the bill markings on my stag.

Aseel bullstag has yet to molt a single feather. American Game bullstags and cocks, have replaced almost half of flight feathers on wings and in eclipse feathering. Most are also in some stage on loosing tail feathers with a couple having dropped all. American Game hens in similar state to males in terms of wing feather replacement and a couple are replacing tail feathers. Broody’s not losing tail feathers. The mostly Aseel hen has also not shown signs of feather replacement, even with the wings.

Aseel bullstag has yet to molt a single feather. American Game bullstags and cocks, have replaced almost half of flight feathers on wings and in eclipse feathering. Most are also in some stage on loosing tail feathers with a couple having dropped all. American Game hens in similar state to males in terms of wing feather replacement and a couple are replacing tail feathers. Broody’s not losing tail feathers. The mostly Aseel hen has also not shown signs of feather replacement, even with the wings.
If my understanding of meat breeds is correct, then they have Asiatic (Aseel derived breeds) in them which may be why so many of them start molt late and become essentially flightless each fall.

Training of these chicks to go up to pens going smoothly. They can not fly like American Games but they are very good at doing all the correct things needed to get 4 feet up onto cock pen where they can then just walk into their own pen. They flap like hummingbirds crossed with a brick. They are super solid in build.

Back
Top Bottom