Breeding Behavior

lilybug51

Chirping
Mar 10, 2017
Waddy, KY
I have 4 Khaki Campbell ducks; 2 drakes about 3 months old, the females are full grown. I also have 10 Call ducks in the same run of similar age to the drakes. Yesterday I found one of my Khaki drakes trying to mate with one of my Call ducks in the 40 gallon horse trough they use for bathing. My question is...will he drown her? He had her under the water for a long enough time that I got spooked and shooed him off of her. I work so I can't be there all the time. Do I need to separate the Khakis from the Calls?

Only one of the drakes was supposed to be male which would have made my ratio at least workable. I've got no idea how many Calls are drakes yet. I will separate them as soon as I get my new run finished. Will he actually drown her? I may have to put them in a crate.

Also the two adult khaki hens and my two adult call hens have all stopped laying completely. Any ideas? They are getting plenty of feed, access to calcium and I provide forage.

Yes..A Call Hen can not escape a pair of large breed Drakes. Injuries or drowning can happen.
Most Duck hens are seasonal layers. They are done till next spring. All my Call are finished for this year. You will definitely need to watch Call Drake/ Hen ratio too. I can keep three Hens per Drake in separate pens during breeding season..

Yes..A Call Hen can not escape a pair of large breed Drakes. Injuries or drowning can happen.
Most Duck hens are seasonal layers. They are done till next spring. All my Call are finished for this year. You will definitely need to watch Call Drake/ Hen ratio too. I can keep three Hens per Drake in separate pens during breeding season..
Thank you! I read they would lay year around so I thought I was doing something wrong. I will def watch my ratio I think my Calls are 6 hens and 3 drakes but only my 1 adult has a drake feather. I’m building a new run for the khakis. I’m new to all of this. Someone gave me my adult hens and I thought I was buying 1 drake and 1 hen to get ratio right but I got 2 drakes instead.

Thank you! I read they would lay year around so I thought I was doing something wrong. I will def watch my ratio I think my Calls are 6 hens and 3 drakes but only my 1 adult has a drake feather. I’m building a new run for the khakis. I’m new to all of this. Someone gave me my adult hens and I thought I was buying 1 drake and 1 hen to get ratio right but I got 2 drakes instead.
Your welcome..I'm sure you will do great ..We all have to make changes and learn as we go..:frow

Back
Top Bottom