Breeding for Red Pyle

The red pyle was introduced into silkies already. it was tried some years back by Marge Ussery I think. Just for reference... IT DIDNT WORK! Everything came out looking like they had rolled around in tomatoes.

I think there are still a few people working on the variety, but they are very uncommon and not very popular.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
That would be pretty easy actually. Just repeat a few generations of birds with white to a pure BBR Araucana.

I am thinking so too. If all goes well then I will repeat the process in LF.

Quote:
Yes. However white leghorns often also have black & silver and may have mottling, blue, recessive white etc. Various genes to help make them a cleaner white. The cross will be mostly white with black flecks and the roosters probably will show red on hackles/saddles.. cross them again with a BBR and you should hit on a few BBR with the dominant white gene. You could probably make Crele leghorns too if the white line you use has barring in them. Crele is just barring over a BBRed bird. Those probably would have some popularity(even I might be interested, lol).

I will use the hatchery white leghorns, I am guessing they are pretty consistent white genetically.

We'll see what happens.
Should look interesting no matter what.

Dominant white works by preventing black pigments from showing up.. so if one tries for a white bird using dominant white, they need to use a bird that is genetically solid black for it to have the best effect. Dominant white has little or no white on red/gold pigments, that is why BBR birds pure for dominant white still have red on them(that would be the Red Pyles).

However, even with a solid black chicken, dominant white does not always perfectly make a clean white bird. So breeders add various genes that 'help' make sure the white is consistently a clean white bird.. and those genes are barring, mottling, blue, recessive white, silver to name a few. So a lot of leghorn lines for this reason are usually in actuality a solid black chicken with one or more of the 'helper genes'. Just that you can't see those genes as they are hidden from view from the white-ness. But they can and will show up in crosses and mixes. It's normal and to be expected.

Quote:
That would be pretty easy actually. Just repeat a few generations of birds with white to a pure BBR Araucana.

Good luck, they will be nice looking birds. Be sure to pay attention to leg color, in case the OEG has a different leg color. BTW just in case if they do, it may involve Id, a skin pigmentation repressor. It's also sex linked so it may be much easier to do the first cross the other way around if possible(Araucana rooster over OEG hens) and then select only the hens for breeding to get rid of it completely in the first generation. If you are only able to use OEG roo over A hens, it would be easier to keep and breed only the sons.

Quote:

Good luck, they will be nice looking birds. Be sure to pay attention to leg color, in case the OEG has a different leg color. BTW just in case if they do, it may involve Id, a skin pigmentation repressor. It's also sex linked so it may be much easier to do the first cross the other way around if possible(Araucana rooster over OEG hens) and then select only the hens for breeding to get rid of it completely in the first generation. If you are only able to use OEG roo over A hens, it would be easier to keep and breed only the sons.

Breeding the sons back over their moms is the plan. I know the leg color will be a bit of a challenge, I just hope I get it right. This is my first cross breeding project and I am new to breeding Araucana on top of that so I am sure there will be some big learning curves along the way.

Last edited:
That will work fine. You'll have fun with the project.
smile.png

Quote:
I haven't seen it, but I can just imagine. Some colors just won't work on fluff they way it would on barbed feathering. Cuckoo only works (sorta) because the barring isn't very even to start with. Even on a silkie, though, they tend to look like a washed out mottled dirty gray or brown. I think someone here had even mentioned some kind of lacing on a silkie once...that just wouldn't work because the pattern would be too fragmented.

Herechickchick,

Here is one of my LF Araucana pullets, hatched this year....far right of course. I have some dominant whites and some recessive. I'm still not certain which of my whites are, some could be both I think. I have one BBR hen and she's the one that makes my red pyles when bred to my white rooster.

TempJune-July2011268.jpg

You don't have to go out of the breed to make an Araucana in Pyle. If you're interested, I'll probably have some chicks in the spring. I've sold all I had but one poor quality, but loveable, cockerel. He's got an incorrect comb, a couple of tail feathers but otherwise should be better than going out of the breed to make a LF. You can have him for the cost to ship if you want him. PM me and I'll take some photo's for you of this cockerel. His red leakage is pretty pale but there. Breed him to a BBR red hen and you might get what you're wanting. (those of you here that understand the genetics better please correct me if I'm wrong)

Cathy

Back
Top Bottom