Breeding Marans

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by jh1013, Jul 26, 2013.

1. jh1013

jh1013 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2012
    Texas
    Im new to the world of marans & dark egg layers. I purchased 5 cuckoo marans pullets from an individual (i believe she purchased them from a hatchery). I would like to buy 5 more pullets and a roo for incubating their eggs and selling the offspring next spring/summer. I want the chicks to be nice color in plumage and lay decently dark eggs. From my research the Black copper marans lay the darkest eggs..i was thinking of buying 5 BCM pullets & roo to ensure dark eggs, and incubate any cuckoo eggs that end up dark in color. (Marans & EE sell for a small fortune in my neck of the woods).
    Q: What kind of chick do you end up with with BCM roo and Cuckoo hen?
    Q: Can u still sex the chick right after hatching with that mating combination?
    Q: Will BCM Roo genes produce offsping that lay darker eggs even if hen is laying lighter egg because she is of production quality?
    Thanks for any help

2. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Quote:
    Best,
    Karen
    Some of the finest BCM in the nation are bred in TX. Search the Net for:
    Black copper Marans Texas champion . It costs just as much to raise fine birds as it does mutts and hatchery quality.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
  3. jh1013

jh1013 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2012
    Texas
    Karen,
    Thank you for your reply. It sounds like a good common sense answer. I had been doing research online about the different strains etc and it got confusing. Buy good quality birds & keep it simple. Thanks so much

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by