BREEDING PAIR AYAM CEMANI: Hen and Rooster are each from (different) pure quality bloodlines

This must be a mistake?

It's just a ridiculously overpriced fad and I know of several fellow chicken keepers here in Germany that were left quite disappointed in the breed and their acqusitions because of poor health, very low amount of eggs and lots of other inbreeding issues.
This is an issue bc people buy them on the cheap, and get no pure birds, making breeding impossible. This is why her price is so high. The reason they are rare is bc they don’t lay a lot of eggs, same with the health issues. You can obviously see how healthy her birds are.

The reason she is asking so much for these is because like she stated they are very high-quality. Places like eBay, and other places online that sell them for low prices have low quality as an only 50% of the bird is truly Cemani meaning that if you try to breed it, you will not get pure bred and that the cemani just looks like ayam cemanis.
So is that the kind of price you paid for yours?

This is an issue bc people buy them on the cheap, and get no pure birds, making breeding impossible. This is why her price is so high. The reason they are rare is bc they don’t lay a lot of eggs, same with the health issues. You can obviously see how healthy her birds are.
The only way to know if they are pure bred, from different blood lines, healthy and able to reproduce is by a plethora of testing/genetic testing which to my knowledge can not be done by simply looking at a picture.

Everyone can claim whatever they want, it is the scientific evidence that makes the difference and is crucial.

The only way to know if they are pure bred, from different blood lines, healthy and able to reproduce is by a plethora of testing/genetic testing which to my knowledge can not be done by simply looking at a picture.

Everyone can claim whatever they want, it is the scientific evidence that makes the difference and is crucial.
I agree, when I said that they obviously looked healthy I was referring to their well kept combs and waddles, alert tails, etc. I think you can agree that doing these tests can’t be cheap, and if they do these tests and go through proper precautions of selling and breeding these birds and sell them for a very low price, say thirty dollars for a hen, that’s laying, they would get only two or three dollars out of the sale.
I understand in different places that the prices may vary, but only a bit because breeding how @RUSO1229 claims to be breeding is not cheap. As for the scientific evidence that is crucial, did your friend from Germany meet these birds before buying them? Where did he/she/they get them? If you don’t know, they could have very well gotten them from an unreliable source, and as well Cemanis are tough to breed. Did they take the proper precautions and do their research?
Just some brain food. Make sure you do all the research before you go calling someone selling their own birds a mistake. If you weren’t interested in buying one, why scold them for selling at a price they are comfortable with? Have a nice day.

I think you can agree that doing these tests can’t be cheap,
Exactly, and on top of the purchasing price the buyers will need to have them tested to make sure the claims made by the sellers are accurate.
breeding how @RUSO1229 claims to be breeding is not cheap
Like I said previously, everyone can claim whatever they like...
If you weren’t interested in buying one, why scold them for selling at a price they are comfortable with?
Everyone can advertise/sell their birds or whatever possessions with whatever claims to a price of their liking just as well as everyone is entitled to spend as much money as they feel the purchase will be worth for them.

But this does not automatically make the aforementioned claims accurate nor does it define the "worth" of the birds or items for everyone else.

Exactly, and on top of the purchasing price the buyers will need to have them tested to make sure the claims made by the sellers are accurate.
So the thing about getting a reputable breeder, is so you dont have to do those tests. they do them for you. This is wrong in so many ways, in my opinion, but if thats how you view most breeders, thats your personal opinion and i cant argue it.
Like I said previously, everyone can claim whatever they like...
This kind of suggests you dont trust people selling these.... so why did you answer?
Everyone can advertise/sell their birds or whatever possessions with whatever claims to a price of their liking just as well as everyone is entitled to spend as much money as they feel the purchase will be worth for them.

But this does not automatically make the aforementioned claims accurate nor does it define the "worth" of the birds or items for everyone else.
Thats correct, everyone has different values, but if your values werent up to @RUSO1229 values... why did you come here just to tell others not to buy this, because in your eyes, apparently it was a mistake. Did you buy the birds or have any intention to buy the birds? If not, why scare off people that may? You have every right to voice your opinion and values as everyone else, but was it really worth it here, Arrow? I really hope commenting and putting down someone elses values gave you what you wanted.

So the thing about getting a reputable breeder, is so you dont have to do those tests. they do them for you. This is wrong in so many ways, in my opinion, but if thats how you view most breeders, thats your personal opinion and i cant argue it.

This kind of suggests you dont trust people selling these.... so why did you answer?

Thats correct, everyone has different values, but if your values werent up to @RUSO1229 values... why did you come here just to tell others not to buy this, because in your eyes, apparently it was a mistake. Did you buy the birds or have any intention to buy the birds? If not, why scare off people that may? You have every right to voice your opinion and values as everyone else, but was it really worth it here, Arrow? I really hope commenting and putting down someone elses values gave you what you wanted.
Well, as it happens I am and have been a breeder of French Marans as well as La Flèche (a very rare French breed endangered of extinction) for several decades.

And just as you advised me so kindly, I did and still do my research well and still teach interested aspiring young breeders of my above mentioned breeds the ropes so to speak.

And during all these years I established connections with and made the acquaintance of other serious and reputable fellow breeders (and some not so reputable ones of course) here in Germany as well as in other countries, so forgive me when I rather believe my fellow breeders with whom I have trustworthy connections reporting their own experiences with regard to the Ayam Cemani, than the claims of a random person on the internet.

It does not help to save rare breeds in danger of extinction when people try to sell them at fantasy prices.

But never mind, to you I am a random person on BYC as well and everyone is entitled to their own opinions.

Last edited:
Well, as it happens I am and have been a breeder of French Marans as well as La Flèche (a very rare French breed endangered of extinction) for several decades.

And just as you advised me so kindly, I did and still do my research well and still teach interested aspiring young breeders of my above mentioned breeds the ropes so to speak.

And during all these years I established connections with and made the acquaintance of other serious and reputable fellow breeders (and some not so reputable ones of course) here in Germany as well as in other countries, so forgive me when I rather believe my fellow breeders with whom I have trustworthy connections reporting their own experiences with regard to the Ayam Cemani, than the claims of a random person on the internet.

It does not help to save rare breeds in danger of extinction when people try to sell them at fantasy prices.

But never mind, to you I am a random person on BYC as well and everyone is entitled to their own opinions.
I suppose it is similar for me. I am also a breeder and trust what I know and heard from others I know. I think if what your earning after you pay for what you needed to do to sell them than it is not a fantasy price. To be entirely honest, I respect you for standing your ground, and responding, and for what you have said. I suppose to each other we are both random people with different opinions and that is okay. I will still believe that this breed is worth this much, and though I respect you after our little argument, I hate to say I did not when I first saw your comment. I feel it was rather rude to say the least. But I understand you reasoning behind it now. I hope you understand mine. Have a great evening, sincerely.

Back
Top Bottom