Breeding silkied Cochin bantams to the Standard

Pics
All I know is I am stressing about this hatch!

I always do too! Doesn't matter if they are under a broody or in the bator.

As for broodies, I either have none or too many. I only have so many spots for mamas. DH always says he'll build more spaces. Sometimes I have to put the brakes on him. lol He's my favorite enabler.

We are discussing another coop. 🤣 Ahhh, and maybe a couple extra pens for grow outs. Starting to round up a few things, priced some fencing and hardware cloth. Maybe we're beyond discussing, it's kind of a plan now. 🤣 Looks like we'll begin after I'm finished planting in the veggie garden. I guess then we'll have a chicken village! :love

I always do too! Doesn't matter if they are under a broody or in the bator.

As for broodies, I either have none or too many. I only have so many spots for mamas. DH always says he'll build more spaces. Sometimes I have to put the brakes on him. lol He's my favorite enabler.

We are discussing another coop. 🤣 Ahhh, and maybe a couple extra pens for grow outs. Starting to round up a few things, priced some fencing and hardware cloth. Maybe we're beyond discussing, it's kind of a plan now. 🤣 Looks like we'll begin after I'm finished planting in the veggie garden. I guess then we'll have a chicken village! :love

It's always too many broodies here! Serves me right for loving Cochins so much! :th

A chicken village! :love I wish I could say that's what I have here, but with all of the recycling and reusing of old materials, plus my aforementioned lack of carpentry skills, it's probably more akin to a trashy chicken trailer park in my case. 🤣

I looked at Athena's eggs and... they look like they're still a couple days from hatch. I can't say I'm surprised as I did notice a couple times when I checked on them that one would slip behind her in the nest and be cooled, so most likely they're delayed because of that. Now I'm trying to figure out the logistics of getting all these chicks grafted to her when most likely the incubator chicks will be hatching tomorrow and it might be a couple more days on the eggs under her :th

I've also finally moved Juniper out of the corner coop flock--delayed because the rain that was supposed to end Sunday actually went until yesterday. She was very nervous, so I grabbed Wash and let the two of them mingle for a bit in the area I fenced off to introduce Juni into the main flock. Wash wanted to lay an egg, though, so I moved her back and Juni seems to be doing okay now even without that familiar face. Pretty sure I want to skip this Saturday for setting eggs anyway (or maybe start setting on Mondays so that they're more likely to hatch over the weekend? I haven't decided yet), so we've still got time for more eggs to be laid before the next time I want to set.

I'm calling it my village, but to some it may be more like a
ghetto! :gigWe repurpose as much as possible too.

Pretty sure I want to skip this Saturday for setting eggs anyway (or maybe start setting on Mondays so that they're more likely to hatch over the weekend?

They should hatch close to the same day of the week you set them but my broody's eggs always start hatching on day 19. My incubator is more like day 20-22.

Thus far the incubator eggs have been hatching around day 19-20, so Monday set days would mean they'd hatch on Saturday or Sunday. Or they'd wait the full 21 days that time just to mess me up. 🤭 Maybe even Sunday would be better. I'll figure it out! I just don't think I'm ready to set the next batch this upcoming weekend based on the cooler temps we're still getting and wanting to make sure that the current chicks can be shifting toward moving out to the coop so there's a brooder clear before the next hatch.

I'm calling it my village, but to some it may be more like a
ghetto! :gigWe repurpose as much as possible too.

They should hatch close to the same day of the week you set them but my broody's eggs always start hatching on day 19. My incubator is more like day 20-22.
I call my prefabs the "chicken trailer park". Even had a tornado go through them a couple years ago.

I hope the chicken trailer park, or at least its occupants, went mostly unscathed at least! That's a big fear of mine, though we pretty infrequently get storms strong enough to produce tornadoes here and the woods deflects most of the wind from them, thankfully.

Back
Top Bottom