Breeding silkied Cochin bantams to the Standard

Pics
Went up thinking I'd see if that baby was dry enough to move out to the brooder before the others hatched and, well, the next one was hatching. 😅 Here's the second baby! Thank goodness she decided to develop a more patterned beak so I can tell her from the first baby!

1682274175826.png

(Also sorry for the terrible picture--getting a clear shot where neither of them was moving turned out to be impossible! :th )

I've gone ahead and moved the batch 6 eggs into the incubator where I lock down, just a day early, so that I can let the other incubator take a break after 6 weeks of running constantly. They're day 17 today so I haven't really technically locked them down beyond that they won't be turned the rest of the day,

Anyone here have broody hen experience? I have limited experience in this, but it's been many years. When should I stop getting Athena up to stretch, eat, and poop? They're due to hatch Friday, but thus far all eggs have hatched a day early, so most likely they will actually hatch on Thursday. Athena has been a little reluctant to take her break the past two days, but she started sitting before I actually gave her eggs, so I don't know if she's just anticipating their hatch too early or if I'm maybe reading into her behavior more than what's actually there. I have been gently removing her from the nest once a day for her breaks, but the one day I was late to her usual break time she did get up on her own and pooped in the cage her nest is in (thankfully not in the nest!).

I've gone ahead and moved the batch 6 eggs into the incubator where I lock down, just a day early, so that I can let the other incubator take a break after 6 weeks of running constantly. They're day 17 today so I haven't really technically locked them down beyond that they won't be turned the rest of the day,

Anyone here have broody hen experience? I have limited experience in this, but it's been many years. When should I stop getting Athena up to stretch, eat, and poop? They're due to hatch Friday, but thus far all eggs have hatched a day early, so most likely they will actually hatch on Thursday. Athena has been a little reluctant to take her break the past two days, but she started sitting before I actually gave her eggs, so I don't know if she's just anticipating their hatch too early or if I'm maybe reading into her behavior more than what's actually there. I have been gently removing her from the nest once a day for her breaks, but the one day I was late to her usual break time she did get up on her own and pooped in the cage her nest is in (thankfully not in the nest!).
Honestly, I don't make my broodies get up. I leave water and food closer than the main dishes (some get food in the nest so I can be sure they're getting something and One Leg had food and water in her nest so she didn't have to get up since she always took a longer time getting back in due to having to jump woth just the one leg) to the nest, but that's about it.

I've heard of doing it that way, I'm just a worrier and worried that she would go too long without eating or drinking, especially since it's her first time. 😅 She also kept spilling the food dish I had put in there just in case she got up before I came out to give her a break, so she only has water in the cage with her and her nest at the moment.

I leave my broody hens pretty much alone. They always get up at least once a day. If they are caged, they poop on the opposite end of the cage. I try to scoop it daily. :sick Broody poop is special! lol

I leave them food and water close by. I use chick feeders/waters and secure them with small bungie cords.

Love to watch mamas with the babies. :love

Draw down is occurring in the incubator eggs this morning! :wee I might have to peek at Athena's eggs later and see what's going on out there. She's pretty chill about it so it shouldn't disturb her much if I just take a quick peek....

Feed dish and waterer are ready for her and her babies now. Thinking I'm going to move the cage she's in now out once the babies are born and instead have them in a small fence I have that has narrower wires that I feel will contain the little ones a bit better. I am regretting that I'm just now thinking of this, but I don't think much can go wrong while the littles are still fresh and not moving around as much... or at least I hope not. :fl

Who says broody hen hatching is the stress-free route? I'm feeling way more stressed now than I have with the incubator eggs so far!! :th

Back
Top Bottom