Breeding silkied Cochin bantams to the Standard

Pics
AAAAAAAA!!! :wee :celebrate :yesss:

View attachment 3545525

Ahem... I am very pleased again. 🙂

Another one has externally pipped so hopefully this little one will have a little buddy soon. :fl

The eggs under Peanut Butter haven't pipped externally yet, but I do hear peeping and felt one moving in the shell when I picked it up to inspect, so hers won't be much longer, either, I expect!
Wooohoo!! 🎉🎉🎉

AAAAAAAA!!! :wee :celebrate :yesss:

Here's a funny for you,

When the lady at the farm store was getting my chicks for me on Thursday the Cochins were listed as blue (though obviously BBS). She first picked up a splash and when I commented on it, insisted that they were blue. So I asked for one of the darker ones (a blue), but didn't try to correct her further.

I can tell my two cochins apart and some lucky person is going to get another splash from that batch. ;)

Yeah, it seems like farm store workers hardly ever actually have very much knowledge of what they're working with. :rolleyes: Glad you got the two actual Blues you wanted, though! I'm sure whoever ends up with the Splash baby will be just as pleased. :D

My first little Splash baby is already starting to get 'splashes' in her little wing feathers, which is super exciting for me! I can't wait to see what she looks like fully grown. :love Hopefully, she (or at least the newly hatched baby) really is a she! :fl

Yeah, it seems like farm store workers hardly ever actually have very much knowledge of what they're working with. :rolleyes: Glad you got the two actual Blues you wanted, though! I'm sure whoever ends up with the Splash baby will be just as pleased. :D

From hearing her talk with other customers on other visits, I believe that this woman is particularly knowledgeable about horses. :)

I got one splash and one blue -- so I could tell them apart. :D

Oh, I misunderstood! Are they large fowl? I have two large fowl Cochin hens, a Splash and a Blue, as well. Matronly old ladies that they are at this point. I love my bantams and their attitudes, but there's something compelling about the large fowl with their built-in scowls and laid back, lazy temperaments. :love

Around here, horses and cattle are the big ones. One of our feed stores has (/ possibly had) an older lady working there that was all about her cattle and another lady that knew chickens fairly well (not BYCer well, but fairly well, if that makes sense). I used to stop by there on my way to or from classes when I was in college and talk to them, but it's way out of the way now so I haven't been by in a long time. I think there's one or two large livestock people at the feed store I frequent, but most are not very well versed in any kind of livestock, unfortunately, and hardly any knowledge of chickens specifically. :hmm

Are they large fowl? I have two large fowl Cochin hens, a Splash and a Blue, as well.

Yes.

We have a large fowl Silver-Laced Cochin and now I have these two babies.

I don't know if I'll keep them or not, but I didn't want to raise only the two WTBs alone in case something happened to one of them.

Okay, so the second chick is out of this batch and, well... I don't think I can complain about my bad luck getting Splashes anymore. 😁 :yesss: :love

1687038338566.png

There's a third egg externally pipped in the incubator, and Peanut Butter has an external pip under her, too, plus both other eggs under her are internally pipped and moving around in there. :fl

Okay, so the second chick is out of this batch and, well... I don't think I can complain about my bad luck getting Splashes anymore. 😁 :yesss: :love

View attachment 3545839

There's a third egg externally pipped in the incubator, and Peanut Butter has an external pip under her, too, plus both other eggs under her are internally pipped and moving around in there. :fl
Look at you!! Splashes all over the place! 😍😍

Back
Top Bottom